Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand Filter spewing water

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand Filter spewing water

Just attempted to start up my pool equipment and when I set it to Filter, water spewed out from under the Flange Clamp at the top. Can someone help me with this? I took the flange off and see nothing but where the top of the filter sits on the bottom/sand filter. I tried tightening the two screws to tighten the flange, but it did no good at stopping the water.
    18,000 gal, 18x32 IGP, vinyl liner, 3 to 5.5ft depth. One inlet/skimmer (Aqua Genie), one main drain. Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter w/filtration rate of 20 GPM/FT, Two-Speed Pentair Whisperflo 1 HP pump, Natural Gas Hayward H200 pool heater, Aquabot T2 (200 Series) Robotic Pool Cleaner (my best friend), Automatic Electric Pool Cover (2nd best friend).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand Filter spewing water

There should be a gasket or seal of some kind between the upper and lower sections. I would remove the flange and check that the seal gasket is intact, clean, and free of nicks or cuts. While you have it apart, it would also be good to lubricate it with a silicone based plumbers lubricant.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Sand Filter spewing water

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    There should be a gasket or seal of some kind between the upper and lower sections. I would remove the flange and check that the seal gasket is intact, clean, and free of nicks or cuts. While you have it apart, it would also be good to lubricate it with a silicone based plumbers lubricant.
    I thought the same thing, but there is no gasket that I can see. If it sits between the top and bottom sections, it must be very small, as it isn't visible. How in the world do I get them apart to get to the seal? Looking at the drawing in my owner's manual, it looks like there is a "Valve/Tank O ring". It doesn't give me instructions on how to replace it. Any help is greatly appreciated. I have done lots of things myself, but never disconnected pipes before.
    18,000 gal, 18x32 IGP, vinyl liner, 3 to 5.5ft depth. One inlet/skimmer (Aqua Genie), one main drain. Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter w/filtration rate of 20 GPM/FT, Two-Speed Pentair Whisperflo 1 HP pump, Natural Gas Hayward H200 pool heater, Aquabot T2 (200 Series) Robotic Pool Cleaner (my best friend), Automatic Electric Pool Cover (2nd best friend).