Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Away From The Pool For 10 Days

1. Back To Top    #1

Away From The Pool For 10 Days

I'll be away from home for 10 days in the near future and won't have anyone to manage the pool. I've been successfully using the TPFC method for almost 2 years, but will need to use the dreaded dichlor/trichlor pucks while I'm gone, so this is more of a question regarding product.

Many here have recommended bringing the FC up to shock level then running a floater, so that's my plan. My current CYA is more than 30 and less than 40 (I can't be anymore precise), so I figure I can weather the extra CYA.

I'm thinking with trichlor, I'll get a bit less CYA than if I use dichlor pukes... err pucks. Leslie's sells a 7lb bucket (Mighty Tabs) for $70 whereas Walmart sells a 10lb bucket for about $40. Both claim to be 99% Trichloro-s-triazinetrione. Considering I have no intention of using these things more than the week and a half that I'm gone, the cheaper the better, but is there anything to worry about regarding the Walmart product? No arsenic or lead or uranium 232 that the Walmart brand might add as a special ingredient?
    14,000 Gal IG Pool/500 Gal Attached Spa
    Pentair Whisperflow 1hp Single Speed Pump
    Sta-Rite Posi-Flo PTM-135 Cartridge Filter
    Hayward H400 Natural Gas Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Away From The Pool For 10 Days

I use the ones from Walmart when I leave for the weekend. I have not had any problems with them. They are good to have on hand for such times. Just keep them in a cool, dry place.

I just want to add that they are okay to use so long as you are aware of what they are adding to your pool just like you stated in your post. They are another tool in your tool box for the pool.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Raise the water level way up before you go. You don't want a heat wave or a windstorm to evaporate it down to where you suck air and lose prime while you're gone.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

kimkats and Richard... all excellent advice. Thank you.
    14,000 Gal IG Pool/500 Gal Attached Spa
    Pentair Whisperflow 1hp Single Speed Pump
    Sta-Rite Posi-Flo PTM-135 Cartridge Filter
    Hayward H400 Natural Gas Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

You are a TFPC seasoned! You understand what to do and why you are doing it. Very nice. You will likely return to a pristine pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

As long as you make sure the tablets do not contain copper you should be fine. Some of the Walmart brands contain copper.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Good work! I bet if you added a little uranium232 to your pool you wouldn't have any algae ever!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach