Repairing skimmer pipes

Jun 14, 2009
Hello All

I'm going to try and repair my collapsed skimmer lines, I'm breaking the concrete tomorrow :shock:

I would just like some information before hand, at some point the flexible pipe turns into PVC. I know that attached to bottom of the skimmers is the flex pipe, but at the pump I have PVC coming out of the ground. I'm wondering if I just need to find were the flex ends and replace that portion with the polyethylene pool and spa tubing I can get at home depot (I'm hoping that is the correct type of pipe to use).

I mean if I have to replace it all I will, but just replacing the flex pipe will make it so l don't have to break a lot of concrete.

Also, if I do have to replace it all is the PVC portion just regular PVC or do pools use a different type of PVC?

Thanks for any advise or suggestions ...:handwave:

Repairing my skimmer lines

Sorry, I originally posted this in wrong forum

Hello All

I'm going to try and repair my collapsed skimmer lines, I'm breaking the concrete tomorrow :shock:

I would just like some information before hand, at some point the flexible pipe turns into PVC. I know that attached to bottom of the skimmers is the flex pipe, but at the pump I have PVC coming out of the ground. I'm wondering if I just need to find were the flex ends and replace that portion with the polyethylene pool and spa tubing I can get at home depot (I'm hoping that is the correct type of pipe to use).

I mean if I have to replace it all I will, but just replacing the flex pipe will make it so l don't have to break a lot of concrete.

Also, if I do have to replace it all is the PVC portion just regular PVC or do pools use a different type of PVC?

Thanks for any advise or suggestions ...:handwave

Re: Repairing my skimmer lines

Schedule 40 PVC. Are you certain what the problem is ?? I would think you need to visibly inspect all of the flex pipe if you think it is damaged. Wow, big job !!!

I had two different pool companies come to work on filter/pump because I thought the issue was air getting in to the system, both companies came to the same conclusion and I was not happy :grrrr:

Than they quoted me the price to fix it :ncool:

So now I will attempt to fix it myself, I'm hoping it is just the flex pipe which I can actually see collapsed and not the whole run. It actually makes sense why would I be able to pull from the main drain good but only get a trickle when I go full skimmers

Oh boy, that is a shame! My IG pool has the flex pipe from the skimmers all the way back to just before the pump.

Well I will cut the concrete and dig out the line until I hit PVC, than hopefully the PVC is good and I will just replace the flex pipe. The funny thing is the pipe that connects both skimmer lines to the pump is under the concrete so at some point I am going to have to decide whether to follow the pipes or just cut straight back and make a new connect to the 3 way Valve :hammer:

No I don't seem to be losing any water, my water level hasn't changed and I have been running the intake at half and half.

Couldn't think of anything better to do, huh? :-D Pools use schedule 40 pvc, which is probably what you think is regular pvc. It is not polyethylene. Yes, you need to dig up the flex pipe and replace it with Sch40 pvc.

Good luck!

Couldn't think of anything better to do, huh? :-D Pools use schedule 40 pvc, which is probably what you think is regular pvc. It is not polyethylene. Yes, you need to dig up the flex pipe and replace it with Sch40 pvc.

Good luck!

Thanks poolv .....

Do you know if sch40 PVC is available at home depot or can you only get it at pool supply stores?

Lol ... I was/am very excited about my new heat pump, but jezz things just started piling up.

My mantra is warm/hot water by Memorial Day!!!! Whatever it takes ::epds::

My BBQ will be all the more enjoyable once I get everything up to par ..:king:

Nearly all Home Depots carry schedule 40 PVC in both 1.5" and 2". Don't go to pools stores if you can help it :) If you need some strange fitting Home Depot doesn't have it is best to try the Internet or a plumbing supply place.

My guess is that it is flex from the pool until very close to the equipment pad, and only changes to rigid directly below where it comes out of the ground.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

How about running a snake down the (2) skimmer lines and see how far you get ?? It may give you an idea just where the blockage is ??? Well if you are not losing water obviously no leak is present. Just a thought. Good Luck!

No biggie at all, I just want you to get all the help you need. This site has helped me a great deal. Another suggestion would be to hire a company with a Drain Snake Camera. Then for sure you would see what's going on in the skimmer lines. It would be great if you could rent such a snake, not sure that is an option though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.