Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Storing excess rain water collected from pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Storing excess rain water collected from pool

This past winter I had to pump out about 2 feet of excess rain water from our pool. Looking ahead to this coming fall/winter rain season, I want to collect and store some of the excess rain water (mixed with our pool water) by pumping it into a couple of 500 gallon plastic tanks. Like this one:

http://www.plastic-mart.com/product/...age-tank-43101

The ideal would be to reuse the stored water for top off starting in May. However, in order to maintain the water I would need to keep it running for 5 months with a pump or keep the tanks in a shaded area and use additives. It appears the option to reuse a few months down the line as pool top off (keep water running) is out of the question. What additives can I use to prevent algae growth or other growths for reuse in the yards (lawn, fruit trees, rose bushes, vegetables, etc)?
    15,000 gallor fiberglass, kidney shade pool. San Jose, California

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Storing excess rain water collected from pool

You can simply use Chlorine. It won't hurt any vegetation, and it will keep it safe for the pool. After all, that's how they would treat drinking water in storage.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Where do you live (put that in your sig, please) Is water scarce? In most areas of the country 1000 gallons of water costs less than $10.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Right now we are in a severe drought in all of California. Just thinking of ideas to conserve (save, collect) water on my part. Given the cost of the 2, 500 gallon tanks, they won't pay for themselves. Anyone want venture a guess of how much chlorine is needed to treat the water for say 5-6 months?
    15,000 gallor fiberglass, kidney shade pool. San Jose, California

5. Back To Top    #5

Probably not that much assuming the container of water was kept closed. Perhaps for 500 gal I'd bring it up to 2ppm, and close it. Then in a month or so open it up and test it to see how it fared.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain