Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plaster condition---I'm VERY SCARED

1. Back To Top    #1

Plaster condition---I'm VERY SCARED

I just got into my new to me pool for the very first time...been doing gradual contiguous drain/refill and other things to get the water in balance, and had to get in there to remove an old salt system that was mounted to one of the pool wall returns.

I knew there were pieces of plaster missing from some small sections of the pool, but now that I've walked around in there, I'm really concerned. The bottom of the pool feels like asphalt roof shingles (rough, and gritty, with some of the grit coming up as you walk around), and there were a couple of places where I actually felt the ground shift/buckle under my feet. That last part is what's scaring me more than anything else.

I know I need a resurface job, but was hoping to make it past this season before I did it. Knowing this new information, I gotta wonder if I can make it that long, and if anyone should be in this pool in the meantime...is it possible for a chunk of plaster to come up and cause a massive hole in the ground where water will come rushing out, causing catastrophic damage and potentially hurting/drowning someone in the process? I don't think that's the case, but I honestly don't know.
    17.4k gallon IG pool with attached spa (spa itself is 730gal), Super Blue Diamondbrite plaster, Circupool SI-45+ SWG, BH/Hayward Cartridge Filter, 2hp 2speed Hayward Super II pump, , Jandy Valves, Waterway Skimmers, Rheem 400k Heater, Polaris 360 cleaner, built 2000+-, replastered June 2015, TF-100 kit---Here's my pool test reading history

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plaster condition---I'm VERY SCARED

The plaster might come off, which will cause the pool to leak very slowly, but that is about the worst that will happen. The concrete pool shell should remain solid no matter what and prevent anything worse than slipping on a loose piece of plaster.

Still, you should get it re-plastered soon.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

GIlbee,
    if a big chunk of plaster comes up, there is severeal inches of thick gunite under it and that wont be coming out. So, no. No catastropy will occur.

Quote Originally Posted by gilbee View Post
    I just got into my new to me pool for the very first time...been doing gradual contiguous drain/refill and other things to get the water in balance, and had to get in there to remove an old salt system that was mounted to one of the pool wall returns.

I knew there were pieces of plaster missing from some small sections of the pool, but now that I've walked around in there, I'm really concerned. The bottom of the pool feels like asphalt roof shingles (rough, and gritty, with some of the grit coming up as you walk around), and there were a couple of places where I actually felt the ground shift/buckle under my feet. That last part is what's scaring me more than anything else.

I know I need a resurface job, but was hoping to make it past this season before I did it. Knowing this new information, I gotta wonder if I can make it that long, and if anyone should be in this pool in the meantime...is it possible for a chunk of plaster to come up and cause a massive hole in the ground where water will come rushing out, causing catastrophic damage and potentially hurting/drowning someone in the process? I don't think that's the case, but I honestly don't know.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the answers...water table is still way too high for anyone to entertain doing the resurfacing yet, but I'm going to start soliciting quotes...
    17.4k gallon IG pool with attached spa (spa itself is 730gal), Super Blue Diamondbrite plaster, Circupool SI-45+ SWG, BH/Hayward Cartridge Filter, 2hp 2speed Hayward Super II pump, , Jandy Valves, Waterway Skimmers, Rheem 400k Heater, Polaris 360 cleaner, built 2000+-, replastered June 2015, TF-100 kit---Here's my pool test reading history

5. Back To Top    #5

Sorry to hear that gilbee. Your shell should hold water just fine in the meantime, so don't worry about that too much.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Just to update---the vast majority of the plaster had indeed delaminated, so much so that they had to completely chisel out the entire pool to the concrete...here's a pic from Saturday

7. Back To Top    #7

Sorry.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    Sorry.
    It's really not the worst thing to happen...I thought I could ride it out till next season, I was wrong. The bright side of it is that I'll have a fresh finish and tile, and when they drained the pool I was able to get in there and replace my fiber optic pool lights with new LED lights! That last part is good because I screwed up the fiber illuminator pretty good trying to clean it

9. Back To Top    #9

Hey Gilbee,

I remember your posting before asking about your finish. Glad you're getting a new one. What did your decide to put in?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

10. Back To Top    #10

Diamondbrite super blue, new waterline tiles, and glow-in-dark fireglass tiles on the steps.