Not maintaining fc level

Welcome to TFP!

What you describe is perfectly normal. The chlorine could be all gone within an hour of adding it. You need to test and add chlorine as required very frequently until it holds. Check out SLAMing Your Pool to get the details.

Consider using liquid chlorine or even regular household bleach (not the scented, spashless or outside kind though) to bring your chlorine up again and again as needed. WHen you use a product called "Shock" it often is a "Stabilized" form of chlorine that also adds CYA to your water. Too much CYA causes problems and can't be removed unless you drain water off and refill with new water.

You have been given good advice. You need a quality test kit and the as John posted - SLAM your pool.

Liquid chlorine will correct your problems. If pool stores in your are don't sell liquid chlorine at a reasonable price then plain bleach at WalMart will do.

You need a TF100as already posted and post up your test results all the while reading Pool School.

Welcome to TFP. We can help You, if you help yourself to Pool School.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok my test kit came in & results are Fc 4
Cc 1
Cya 50
Ta 90
Ph 7.4
Recommendations? I work away from home & before I left for the week the fc was 5 came home 7 days later at 0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you work away from home often? Perhaps down the road you might want to think about a salt water chlorine generator (SWG) to help keep some chlorine (but no CYA additions!) in your pool those few days you're gone.

Yippee