Buying home with Above ground pool - rough shape - salvagable?

May 1, 2015
Ny, NY
I'm hoping you guys can help me out here. I'm in the process if buying a home (in the northeast) with an above ground pool. The pool is in pretty rough shape.

Mainly, there is a huge rust hole on the wall - is there any way to fix it or is is basically down for the count?

It's an oval - 16x24 I believe?

Pool Crack.jpg

Pool Liner.jpg

Hi, welcome to TFP! My sister's AGP had what they thought was surface rust under the return line. A couple of weeks ago it split and they had a catastrophic failure. 10,000 gallons of water washed an 18" sand filter 15' away into their fence. You could try and patch the area with a sheet metal panel riveted to the pool wall and cut a new return line, but there is no guarantee it will hold. If you want a pool you would be better off to ahead and get a new one.

Actually if the rest of the pool is is good shape including the bottom straps, it's easily repairable. Remove the liner so you can see the inside of the wall, if it is rusted badly everywhere it's junk. If it's just at the skimmer and return you can buy a stainless steel return and skimmer panel section, unbolt the wall seam, cut out the bad area, bend the cut end back over itself, drill new bolt holes spaced just like the ones on the end you left and bolt the new section in, install a new liner and be swimming in half a day. Also check the straps connecting the uprights under the long section of the pool, rake the sand off of them, if they are in bad shape it's easy enough to have stainless steel straps fabricated then you'll be able to get a lot of years out of that pool for a small investment.

believe me when I say my son in law wood fix this, , , I agree with Duojr, a little fabrication, (If the rest of structure is sound), inspect inspect and inspect again, but this could be repaired, for much less. I would look into it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You have to be very careful repairing oval pools with such severe damage. I would replace the pool before fabricating new pieces, especially since the wall has to come down. With such extreme rust, the straps and track could be beyond repair.

There are some who have the skills like DupJr to make the meticulous patchwork. If you have to ask if it can be done- you are probably like me and you ain't the guy to do it. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done this more than once. The stainless repairs will outlast the rest of the pool. I'd almost bet there isn't much damage elsewhere, it looks like the culprit here is a leaky return gasket. Oval pools arent as magical s people tend to believe. Installation isn't much more complicated, just a little more ground to level and a few more parts to assemble. Yes installers charge more because it is more work, but I believe they charge way more than they should for ovals. I can assemble an oval pool by myself in half a day. If the rest of the pool is salvageable a fab shop can save you lots of money, but before you attempt you really should have a working knowledge of how pools are assembled and how their structural strengths and weaknesses. Like everyone else said, worst case scenario you can install a new one easily because the leveling has been done and that's the hardest part.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.