Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Buying home with Above ground pool - rough shape - salvagable?

1. Back To Top    #1

Thumbs up Buying home with Above ground pool - rough shape - salvagable?

I'm hoping you guys can help me out here. I'm in the process if buying a home (in the northeast) with an above ground pool. The pool is in pretty rough shape.

Mainly, there is a huge rust hole on the wall - is there any way to fix it or is is basically down for the count?

It's an oval - 16x24 I believe?

Pool Crack.jpg

Pool Liner.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Buying home with Above ground pool - rough shape - salvagable?

One word....Junk
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi, welcome to TFP! My sister's AGP had what they thought was surface rust under the return line. A couple of weeks ago it split and they had a catastrophic failure. 10,000 gallons of water washed an 18" sand filter 15' away into their fence. You could try and patch the area with a sheet metal panel riveted to the pool wall and cut a new return line, but there is no guarantee it will hold. If you want a pool you would be better off to ahead and get a new one.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

It's toast. A round pool can be fixable, but an oval isn't as structurally sound and a patch that big would not be safe.
    27k gallon 33' round, partially buried 22" Sandman sand filter, 1.5hp 2 speed TidalWave pump, Pentair 'Lil Shark with leaf canister, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

That Pool needs hauled off. It's gone.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Awww. Sad replies. Sorry for your pool loss.
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

7. Back To Top    #7

The only silver lining I can see is that the grading for a new pool is there or at least it won't take the work that starting completely new will. It cost me 400 bucks to have the land cleared and graded for my 18 foot round AGP.
    18ft. diameter, 48 inch deep Sharkline Reprieve AGP, 7000 gallons, Intex 14 inch sand filter with 3/4 H.P. 2,150 GPH pump, Intex SWG
    TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Instead of asking for a carpet allowance, ask for a pool allowance in the closing
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

9. Back To Top    #9

Actually if the rest of the pool is is good shape including the bottom straps, it's easily repairable. Remove the liner so you can see the inside of the wall, if it is rusted badly everywhere it's junk. If it's just at the skimmer and return you can buy a stainless steel return and skimmer panel section, unbolt the wall seam, cut out the bad area, bend the cut end back over itself, drill new bolt holes spaced just like the ones on the end you left and bolt the new section in, install a new liner and be swimming in half a day. Also check the straps connecting the uprights under the long section of the pool, rake the sand off of them, if they are in bad shape it's easy enough to have stainless steel straps fabricated then you'll be able to get a lot of years out of that pool for a small investment.

10. Back To Top    #10

believe me when I say my son in law wood fix this, , , I agree with Duojr, a little fabrication, (If the rest of structure is sound), inspect inspect and inspect again, but this could be repaired, for much less. I would look into it.
    16 'x 48" Metal Frame Intex 5065 gallons, 14 Inch sand filter,Hayward Skimmer SP1091LX Dynaskim, Test Kit TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

You have to be very careful repairing oval pools with such severe damage. I would replace the pool before fabricating new pieces, especially since the wall has to come down. With such extreme rust, the straps and track could be beyond repair.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

12. Back To Top    #12

There are some who have the skills like DupJr to make the meticulous patchwork. If you have to ask if it can be done- you are probably like me and you ain't the guy to do it.

Intex 22' x 52" - Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump - flow rate: 2,150 gal per hour
    TFTest Kits TF-100
    Waiting to stop relocating until I build my dream pool!

13. Back To Top    #13

I've done this more than once. The stainless repairs will outlast the rest of the pool. I'd almost bet there isn't much damage elsewhere, it looks like the culprit here is a leaky return gasket. Oval pools arent as magical s people tend to believe. Installation isn't much more complicated, just a little more ground to level and a few more parts to assemble. Yes installers charge more because it is more work, but I believe they charge way more than they should for ovals. I can assemble an oval pool by myself in half a day. If the rest of the pool is salvageable a fab shop can save you lots of money, but before you attempt you really should have a working knowledge of how pools are assembled and how their structural strengths and weaknesses. Like everyone else said, worst case scenario you can install a new one easily because the leveling has been done and that's the hardest part.

14. Back To Top    #14

Guess you will not really know the extent of the damage until you take the liner off and inspect very well all around, top to bottom. Up until then, its only speculation.
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.