Just tested, looking for input, all help appreciated!

Hi, I'm new here, just tested with my K-2006c.
FC= 14.0 ppm
CC may be 0.5 to 1.0 but it may have been going back to red before adding, so it may be 0.0
PH=7.0 (3 drops raised it to 7.4)
Alkalinity was 40 ppm
Calcium was 30 ppm
CYA=60ppm

All help is appreciated. The calculator said to add 60 oz of borax by weight.
It also said to add 613 oz of calcium chloride, but I don't know if that is necessary.
Please let me know what you think.
Thanks,
muc

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You do not need to add calcium for a vinyl pool.
You also can not test the pH accurately when the Fc > 10ppm, but you are certainly too low.

How do you chlorinate? It is atypical for the TA and pH to be so low.
And why is your FC so high?

Thanks for your reply! I am currently using bottles of bleach. It went green, so I added until it wasn't. I've put in about one box of borax and a couple pounds of baking soda last Friday. After a green weekend, I poured about 4 jugs of bleach, then Monday, I wa sick of green, added 3 more, and it turned blue. Still a bit cloudy, but not green!
Oh, once it is hooked up, I will switch to SWG.

Well, if you are green you don't want to start the SWG, you need to SLAM using liquid chlorine only. Right now you are teasing the algae, a little chlorine here, a little there but not a sufficient quantity for a long enough time to keill everything in the water.

No SWG, liquid chlorine.

Read the SLAM article in the Pool School and follow the instructions fully to the end.

Thanks! It is not green now, is at FC 14, and was at 19 day before yesterday. If CYA=60, the chart says to take it to 24. I'm betting it was higher than that Monday, should I take it back that high? It has been clearing fairly well, just a little cloudy. Also, should I begin to add any borax? Thanks for your help, you rock!

Just because it isn't green does not mean there isn't still algae growing in your pool.

Read this, SLAMing Your Pool

+1

You need to SLAM. The M stands for Maintain! When a pool is green you need to get your FC level up to Shock level and *keep it there* until you pass all 3 tests to let it back down! (It's all in the SLAMming Your Pool article pooldv linked to.)

It's a proven method to go from green to sparkling shiny clear!

Just because it isn't green does not mean there isn't still algae growing in your pool.

Read this, SLAMing Your Pool

Thanks! Will do! Can my kids swim with it that high?

- - - Updated - - -

+1

You need to SLAM. The M stands for Maintain! When a pool is green you need to get your FC level up to Shock level and *keep it there* until you pass all 3 tests to let it back down! (It's all in the SLAMming Your Pool article pooldv linked to.)

It's a proven method to go from green to sparkling shiny clear!

Thanks. Will do! Can my kids swim with it that high?

Your kids theoretically could but if your pool water is cloudy, why would you want them to swim in a pool you couldn't see through?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your kids theoretically could but if your pool water is cloudy, why would you want them to swim in a pool you couldn't see through?

It's not that cloudy! I can see the details of my drains clearly. It just doesn't sparkle at this point.
Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Your water needs to be clear, and your CC needs to be 0.5 or less before anyone swims.

Okay. Thank you!

Tested this afternoon.
FC = 15.5
CYA=65
Added 2 jugs of 8.5% bleach 256oz.
It is getting clearer. Thanks everyone for the help. It's much more fun learning this myself than depending on local stores. You guys are a great resource, and I appreciate your efforts, coaching, patience with a rookie. This is very cool, and thank you for allowing me to be here and learn from you.
muc

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.