Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Electric or Gas for pool heater

1. Back To Top    #1

Electric or Gas for pool heater

Hi everyone, wanted to get some thoughts from people who have heaters for the pool.

Did some searching on the forum and from what I've read Raypak is getting the most reccomendations from most of you on here.

I went to their site and found the pool sizer calculation page to estimate what type of heater I would need.

http://roxwebdev01.pixelgate.net/gas...ak.php?appid=1

On that page given my input.

Heating the pool May through October to a temp of 82 degrees.

Milwaukee Wisconsin area

Solar Cover on 20hrs per day.

Its calculating that I would consume about $266 in electric costs. $461 in natural gas, and some un-godly amount using propane.

I was planning on Gas or Electric but never having a pool heater before thought I would ask for some advice before digging any further.
    Steve
    22,041 IG Vinyl Fiberglass Steps (Built 1990-ish), Dura-Glas Pump, Baker II Series Sand Filter HR-24, TF100 Test Kit w/speedstir
    475 Gallon Caldera Utopia Series Geneva 6 person spa
    Mount Pleasant Wi.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Electric or Gas for pool heater

No thought for Solar Panels? They work pretty well.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

I had thought about going the solar panel route in combination with the solar cover.

My wife and I were talking last night about a friend of mine who has a similar pool with a heater. Keeps his about 85 throughout the wisconsin swim season (Mayish through early October) no cover at all for him and he is defintely PoolStore oriented. Trying to convert him but we shall see how that goes.

Anyway, my wife was saying how she wants WARM water in the pool, given our climate and potential for actual solar temp increases I wanted to atleast investigate the actual heater as an option too.
    Steve
    22,041 IG Vinyl Fiberglass Steps (Built 1990-ish), Dura-Glas Pump, Baker II Series Sand Filter HR-24, TF100 Test Kit w/speedstir
    475 Gallon Caldera Utopia Series Geneva 6 person spa
    Mount Pleasant Wi.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a Hayward 250,000 BTU gas heater. My gas bill has not seen that much of a spike actually. So at this point I am still very happy with it. A heat pump will save you a little money on your utility bill however it takes longer to heat up the pool. That link appears to be for a Heat Pump. I'm sure the experts will chime in.
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

5. Back To Top    #5

Electric heat pumps are best when you are maintaining temperature all the time, the air temperature is reasonably high, and your electric rates are not wildly high (as they are some places). They lose efficiency rapidly as the air temperature goes down.

Gas heat is best for "event" heat, for example that one nice weekend in the spring. Gas heats a lot more quickly, and we are usually talking days, not hours.

Most people discover that they don't use the heat all the time because even electric heat pumps can get wildly expensive. So gas is best for most people.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I live in Pittsburgh and have a electric heat exchanger. They do not work very well in spring and fall when you need heat the most. I am going to switch to a gas heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

For fast heating, gas is the answer. Seeing the OP is in WI and his wife likes a WARM pool, she would happiest with gas. It can be as warm as she likes and when she likes.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by sgarofalo View Post
    wisconsin swim season (Mayish through early October) no cover at all
    I had the impression that Georgia was warmer than Wisconsin. I'd consider my pool season to be from Mayish through September.

We had a heat pump since we got the pool and I just switched to gas. It just took too long to heat it up with the heat pump, talking days...
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

One therm of Natural gas produces 100,000BTU of heat. I believe a pool heater is around 80% efficiency. Therefore a natural gas unit of 100K will give 80,000BTU per hour at a cost of .80 cents per therm. (Check cost per therm in your area.
    A heat pump to produce the same BTU is this. Electric produces 3414 BTU per hour of heat. The average heat pump in 70 degree weather is about 4-6 COP. (Efficient) Which means for every unit of electricity you put into it you get 4-6 units back in energy, or heat. Therefore lets use the average of 5 COP. 3414 times 5 COP = 17,070 BTU of heat. The unit of electricity you used for that is called a kilowatt. A kilowatt in my area costs .08 cents.
    Cost comparison is as follows. I have to buy 4.68 kilowatt to produce 80,000 BTU in a heat pump. (80,000 / 17,070 = 4.68 KWH) .08 cents x 4.68 =.37 cents.
    Ending result is, the heat pump will cost 50% of the cost of a NG heater, IF your gas cost is >80 cents per therm and .08 cents per KWH.
    17K Gallons, Gunite & plaster, Hayward Ecostar VS, AquaCal SQ110, Ecofilter E5 (Zeolite), Pentair in line chlorinator, ProLogic P4 automation. Bought home in 2015. Very large caged in pool in Fort Myers.

10. Back To Top    #10

I just installed a gas heater (266k BTU for 17,500 gallon pool).
    I've only been running it for four days now, so I'm not sure what the cost is for heating.
    It took 22 hours to bring my water from 60 degrees to 84. I run it a few hours every morning to get it back to 84 at 1 PM so I can swim. I am loving it!

No way would I be swimming yet if it was a heat pump.

Boise Idaho...temps have been 65-71 this week with night time temps dropping to 50-ish.

I know I'll be in shock when I get my first gas bill, but for now, I'm just enjoying it!
    17.5 K gallons (16x32) vinyl inground pool with 1 hp pump and an old Triton sand filter. >20 years old. New 2015 Rheem gas heater. TF-100 Test kit. Little red robot and a Pool Blaster Max.

11. Back To Top    #11

I get a 1 to 2 degree per hour warm-up rate with my gas heater, like Jason said if you want a warm pool for an event you can have it up to temp in a day. My wallet cringes when I hear the heater fire up though.
    18' x 38' 20,500 gallon vinyl IGP, 3.5 - 7' depth, Pentair FNS Plus DE filter,
    2hp Whisperflo high performance pump, 1.1hp boost-rite pump for the cleaner,
    250k BTU MasterTemp heater, LetroLegend pool cleaner, Hayward TurboCell GLX-CELL-15 chlorine generator
    Speedstir, K-1776, TF-100

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Awilli8203 View Post
    I live in Pittsburgh and have a electric heat exchanger. They do not work very well in spring and fall when you need heat the most. I am going to switch to a gas heater.
    What make and model do you have ??

Please add your location to your profile and pool equipment info to your signature as outlined here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...etting-started
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!