Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SLAMmin' and Jammin'

1. Back To Top    #1

SLAMmin' and Jammin'

Ok, so I make the SLAM process seem amazing, when it should be avoided, but I couldn't help myself!

I started my SLAM 2 weeks ago today. I've made it from a Brown abyss to a nice aqua teal color! Ha!

It started because I was lazy and didn't close the pool last fall. I didn't get the cover on before the leaves fell, and I didn't take the time fish them out.

A few weeks ago I dove (pun intended!) back into this forum and did a LOT of reading. I've read through most all of the Green to Clean threads (that I can find anyway). I've purchased a leaf rake, and bunch of bleach. and a Taylor K-2006 test kit. The past 2 years, or since I've owned the pool, I've used the pucks, with moderate success.

With the knowledge from this site, and my new and superior test kit I assumed I would have a really high CYA, due to the pucks and occasional use of "shock". I was Shocked (again pun intended!) after my first round of tests:

FC 0 (no surprise)
    CC .5 (a little surprised)
    PH 7.4
    TA 70
    CH 250
    CYA 0 (SHOCKED!)

I couldn't believe I didn't have ANY cya...
    After further perusing of the forum, I'm under the impression that the leaves and debris I left in the pool all winter actually broke down the CYA and created ammonia (I think I have that correct anyway). The pool also seemed like a drunk sailor and was treating my bleach like a round of shots, and asking for another!

After a couple days I was finally able to get a FC reading! hooray!

Fast forward a couple weeks and here are my readings this morning. I'm only able to test and adjust 3 or 4 times a day. Once before work, then again when I get home, and then depending on the evenings activities 1 or 2 more times.

FC 20
    CC 1
    CYA approx 40

I added cya in a sock in front of the return jet on 4/26, so I won't get a good reading until 5/3. I was attempting to get to CYA of 30, but I was working with a 4600 gal measurement (14ft round by 4 ft depth), when in reality I found, after measuring a couple nights ago, the water is 13.5 round and 3.5 deep and only 3700 gals. And a couple of back washes later, I'm sure the cya is closer to 40, and that's what I calculating off of until Sunday.

FC 20
    CC 1

I didn't add any bleach this morning since I'm 4pmm over the shock value. I'll test again around 4:30.

I was going to add pictures but, the file is too big... bummer
    Intex UltraFrame 14ft x 48in deep, 3,700 Gallon, Intex 14-Inch Krystal Clear 1,600 gph Sand Filter Pump, Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SLAMmin' and Jammin'

Looks like you're making progress! Good job getting a kit that can help you attack the pool. Now you're at the point where it's the little things that finish off a SLAM. Think like algae... for some of us it's easier than others. Thoroughly scrub those ladders, lights, ledges, skimmers, nooks and crannies.

The best way to post pictures is to upload them to a file/photo sharing website and link them to your posts here. See this tutorial by Leebo: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...oto-s-Tutorial
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

April 17th

April 23rd

April 29th

May 1st
    Intex UltraFrame 14ft x 48in deep, 3,700 Gallon, Intex 14-Inch Krystal Clear 1,600 gph Sand Filter Pump, Taylor K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

That is fantastic progress! Good work. Was that a DB in there on April 23?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Keep up the great job. It is getting there.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

Oh my goodness! Thanks for the pictures! That's how my pool looked the winter/spring before I found TFP!

Keep it up!
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    That is fantastic progress! Good work. Was that a DB in there on April 23?
    Yes, that's where I stashed it for the winter! Unfortunately I had to find another locale!

8. Back To Top    #8

Yesterday evening my Fc dropped to 13.5. So I added enough bleach to get me up to 20.

I'm running low on reagents so, I'm not testing cc at the moment and really prolly only testing once a day until my restock comes in. I know looking back at my past test results approx how bleach to add at what time of day. So, I'll estimate when I can't test.

This morning:
    Fc 15

I bumped back up to Fc ~20

9. Back To Top    #9

I'll post some more pics after while when I get to a computer!

10. Back To Top    #10

LOL! Good job getting your pool figured out and numbers under control!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

5/1/15

5/2

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by bull3299 View Post
    5/1/15

5/2

Getting closer! Keep it up!
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

13. Back To Top    #13

Dadgum! I ran out of reagent this morning! My concoction was still very pink after 25 drops, so I know the FC is above 12.5!

- - - Updated - - -

You know, I guess the silver lining in this is. I made a mess out of this small pool, so it's not costing a fortune to clean it up. AND when I'm able to graduate to a big boy pool, I'll know how to take care of it. More especially, what NOT to do!

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Dadgum! I ran out of reagent this morning! My concoction was still very pink after 25 drops, so I know the FC is above 12.5!
    Oh no! I hope you get some more reagent quick. In the meantime you can add based off of previous days readings. I am not sure if you can get more reagent at a pool store or not, but it is worth a shot.
    Lisa

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Azgirl71 View Post
    Oh no! I hope you get some more reagent quick. In the meantime you can add based off of previous days readings. I am not sure if you can get more reagent at a pool store or not, but it is worth a shot.
    I ordered some at the end of last week, because I knew it was getting low. Hopefully it will arrive today or tomorrow!

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

They probably sent you tracking number. You can check the tracking. In the meantime add based off of your previous testing
    Lisa

17. Back To Top    #17

Hot Diggidy Dog! The reagents came in today! I'll test as soon as I get home!

18. Back To Top    #18

Ok, so I did the OCLT last night, just because I happened to test after dark, and usually test before the sun come up in the morn. I lost 6ppm over night. The water is cloudy, but seems to be clearing every day.

Thoughts on what could be consuming it?

May 5th

19. Back To Top    #19

You can never have enough good help either!

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

Keep up the good work and you will pass the OLCT before you know it.

- - - Updated - - -

You can never have enough good help either!

He is a cutie!
    Lisa

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast