Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about poolcalulator results - CSI

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about poolcalulator results - CSI

I've got a question about the poolcalc:

If I setup the calculator for troublefreepool.com, SWG, and plaster, then use the goals that are above the various blanks, it seems that the CSI ends up in the "potential to become corrosive to plaster" at .52, which is almost at the magical oh noes .6 .....I used the following mostly fictitious numbers:

FC 4 (calc says 4-11 is goal, but this isn't used in the CSI calc)
    pH 7.5 (calc says 7.5-7.8)
    TA 80 (calc says 60-80)
    CH 260 (calc says 250-350)
    CYA 75 (calc says 70-80)
    Salt 3200 (calc doesn't say anything, but 3200 is around what I expect most people to have for salt content with a SWG)
    Temp 70 degrees

When the water is properly balanced, are we basically riding the edge between balanced and potentially corrosive, more toward the potentially corrosive?
    17.4k gallon IG pool with attached spa (spa itself is 730gal), Super Blue Diamondbrite plaster, Circupool SI-45+ SWG, BH/Hayward Cartridge Filter, 2hp 2speed Hayward Super II pump, , Jandy Valves, Waterway Skimmers, Rheem 400k Heater, Polaris 360 cleaner, built 2000+-, replastered June 2015, TF-100 kit---Here's my pool test reading history

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Question about poolcalulator results - CSI

Notice that your CH is at the low end of the range, your TA at the high end, and pH low end. That combo yields a CSI on the lower end of the acceptable range. Change any or all within the stated goal area and the resulting CSI will also change.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok, let's cut them down the middle:

pH 7.6
    TA 70
    CH 300
    CYA 75
    Salt 3200

this yields -.45 , still in the "potential to corrode plaster" range

If I take them all to their max of the goal range, I get .13, which results in "balanced".

How worried about keeping my CSI in the balanced result should I be? My plaster already has pieces missing from it in a few places on the floor, and will need resurfacing soon, but I'd like to not help it along in the failing process...
    17.4k gallon IG pool with attached spa (spa itself is 730gal), Super Blue Diamondbrite plaster, Circupool SI-45+ SWG, BH/Hayward Cartridge Filter, 2hp 2speed Hayward Super II pump, , Jandy Valves, Waterway Skimmers, Rheem 400k Heater, Polaris 360 cleaner, built 2000+-, replastered June 2015, TF-100 kit---Here's my pool test reading history

4. Back To Top    #4

I think you're worrying too much. Plug all those numbers in and see what happens when the water warms up. CSI moves positive. Your CH is going to climb through evaporation and refilling. Is it low now? And unless you obsess on it, your pH will drift upwards and spend a few days approaching 7.8 or sitting there before you lower it. That also drives CSI upwards.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

My CH at present is 250, which is the same as my fill water except when it rains of course, which happens a LOT here.

6. Back To Top    #6

"potentially corrosive" is not a problem unless the water moves into corrosive. So you have to look at what is likely to change the CSI while you are not paying attention. In this case just about everything that might happen is going to raise CSI and there is no way it is going to go into corrosive unless you add acid (or something similar) to the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School