Pentair heater not starting!

charlieTX

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 22, 2013
Houston, Texas
Howdy!

Trying to heat the spa for the first time this year, and the heater will not start. I have a Pentair MiniMax and it doesn't (or didn't) get much use as I am in sunny Texas. The power light is illuminated, but none of the other lights are coming on (thermostat, heat, etc) when I use the control to try and start it. I have reset the power and cycled the gas valve on and off several times but can't get any other LED's to light.

Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks!!!

I have a Pentair MiniMax Plus 400. This is the one with the knobs (one for pool and one for spa) and 6 LED lights. Below is a link to the service manual that I have found online. On page 24 it has troubleshooting for when the Diagnostic Lights Show "Power Only".

The way the unit works is that power must pass through one module first before passing to another. The first module it passes through is the T Stat, and since this light is not on it means that it could be an issue with the thermostat. So it could mean that your thermostat needs to be replaced. The manual states trying to use a jumper to by-pass the thermostat to see if this resolves the issue.

http://www.rhtubs.com/manual/minimaxPlus.pdf

I have a Pentair MiniMax Plus 400. This is the one with the knobs (one for pool and one for spa) and 6 LED lights. Below is a link to the service manual that I have found online. On page 24 it has troubleshooting for when the Diagnostic Lights Show "Power Only".

The way the unit works is that power must pass through one module first before passing to another. The first module it passes through is the T Stat, and since this light is not on it means that it could be an issue with the thermostat. So it could mean that your thermostat needs to be replaced. The manual states trying to use a jumper to by-pass the thermostat to see if this resolves the issue.

http://www.rhtubs.com/manual/minimaxPlus.pdf

Great, thanks.

My Pentair heater didn't start either... thank goodness it was under warranty. I have to say, they were prompt about fixing it tho!

I ordered a new potentiometer thermostat but now I am stuck finding the physical location of the thermostat. I've a feeling this may be a newer part for a newer circuit board. Can somebody direct me to where the thermostat is located, please? Thanks.

Thanks Rocco. So I figured out on my model the potentiometer is part of the circuit board.

So I've replaced the circuit board, found it for $65 on Amazon Warehouse deals as a return and I have PROGRESS.

The thermostat now works and all the LED's come on and the heater TRIES to start but now there is just a clicking of the pilot trying to light and the red service light comes on....

So this must be a supply or ignition issue? It hasn't been started in about seven months....

Any

Thanks guys! Hoping to be in the spa tomorrow night!

F I X E D

I changed the circuit board ($65 from amazon) and the pressure switch ($40 from amazon) and the heater is firing.

Took me a while and a few trips to return the wrong parts, but saved me a bunch over paying a tech to do it.

Thanks guys!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.