Relatively new pool owner starting the TFPC method

Darren35

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2014
Evansville, IN
First of all, I just had a new liner put in and refilled with municipal water. I think the company that put it in poured in stabilizer and shocked it. I brought the PH level up with baking soda and threw some chlorine tabs in the skimmer that were left over from last year. I ordered the T100 and will post my numbers in a few days.

My first question- should I just throw away the old chlorine pucks since I read that they mess with the CYA? I only have about 10 pucks left, but I was planning on using them to save a couple of dollars.

Throw away or keep? Thanks so much!

10 pucks shouldn't be a problem, especially on a pool that was just filled.

Do you have anything to test with at all? It is good to monitor the PH when using tricolor tablets, as they are fairly acidic.

I know its not exactly the same, but i bought a bunch of powdered dichlor from Leslies before i got with this program. when i know my pool needs both chlorine AND CYA, i'll sprinkle that in instead of bleach to give me a couple more units. a lot of people still use pucks when they go on vacation - so they have a use, just be aware of your numbers.

I've found the pool calc VERY useful to predict what will happen when you add "x" chemical.

10 pucks shouldn't be a problem, especially on a pool that was just filled.

Do you have anything to test with at all? It is good to monitor the PH when using tricolor tablets, as they are fairly acidic.

Yes, I have one of those basic test that checks chlorine, ph, and alkalinity.

Ordered T100 yesterday. Even bought the thing that stirs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright friends. Got my t100 and Mixer but am a little concerned with the numbers. I was very precise and careful. How does this look:

FC: 1.0
CC: 3.5
TC: 4.5
Calcium Hardness: 100 PPM (I have a brand new vinyl liner and filled pool two weeks ago) Been using pucks until now. Going forward I am doing your method.
Alkalinity:150
CYA: 35
Also PH looked like 7.2. I used the blue box test for PH

Thoughts?

I just added 96 oz of 6% bleach per the calculator. This said it would raise my FC from 1 to 4. Not sure if I should slam it at this point. Thought I might just keep checking it a few times per day.

Also, not sure if it matters, but I keep a solar cover on it and the pool water looks crystal clear

Clearly something is wonky ... either the first or second FAS-DPD test was not correct.

With a CYA of 35ppm, you should never let the FC drop below 3ppm. So likely should target 5-6 every day. Still no idea how you got up to 17ppm though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just tested again. 17fC and 0 CC. Guess I screwed up the first test and should not have added the bleach. I said I was new lol. I am going to take the pucks out of the skimmer and check the FC and PH early in the morning. Thanks for the help. I will figure this out!

You can let the FC level drift down on its own, just be ready to maintain it again when it gets near your target FC level.

If you need to bring your PH up, use either borax or washing soda (sodium carbonate), instead of baking soda (sodium BIcarbonate). Baking soda will raise your TA more that it will the PH.

One more thing, avoid using the trichlor pucks in your skimmer, especially if your pump does not run 24/7. As noted above, they are acidic and can damage the skimmer and pump if used in the basket. Safer method here is if you ever use them, put them in a floater.

Enjoy your pool!

Trichlor and dichlor both raise CYA. They also provide chlorine, and lower PH.

If you want only raise CYA you can buy it by itself. Usually sold as "stabilizer", just check the ingredients for it to say either cyanuric acid, or isocyanuric acid.. It is available in both liquid and solid (granular) forms. The liquid is easier to deal with, but costs more than the solid CYA. The solid CYA takes up to a week to fully dissolve. Usual method with the granules is to put it in a sock, and hang that in front of one of your returns.

Added Box of Borax per pool math and Ph went from 7.2 to 7.5. Should I try to get this to 7.8?
FC coming down. 11.5 after 24 hours
Cc is 0
CH is 100. Do I do anything with this? I have a new vinyl liner
Alkalinity is 170 ms hound I add a little muratic acid or let him come down over time
Cya still 30
Learning a lot. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.