Relatively new pool owner starting the TFPC method

My first question- should I just throw away the old chlorine pucks since I read that they mess with the CYA? I only have about 10 pucks left, but I was planning on using them to save a couple of dollars.

When i bought the pool, they give me 6kg of trichlore pucks, i use them to reach my correct level of cyanuric acid.
With pool math, i calculed each pucks give me 3 ppm of cyanuric acid for my pool.

Everything is going well- I bought some CYA and put it in a sock in the skimmer. My FC was 30 and we had a ton of rain. Based on pool math my CYA level should be 40 after everything settles. My question- I understand that I should try and keep the FC at 5. Does that mean if I test it at night and it is 5 that I should add bleach nightly to take it to 7 (assuming approx lost of 2 ppm during sunny days). OR since it is 5 do I leave it there and bring it back up to 5 at night?

Thanks for everyone's help.

Darren35: This is in response to a question you asked in another thread.

If you completed start up on fresh water, it is not required that you do an OCLT. Especially if you see no signs of algae, your water is crystal clear and your CC level is less than 1. However, for curiosity sake it's very easy to bump up your FC to about 10 and perform and OCLT, to verify your pool water has no issues.

Had a little concern today. First time in a while and it was very sunny. Last night I raised the FC to 6. Tonight the FC was 2 and the combined chlorine was 1. We had received several inches of rain the last several days but I was diligent in checking the chlorine (in the small box). Maybe I should just do the full test nightly. I can't hardly distinguish between the yellow colors.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.