SLAM clarification

Jul 8, 2014
Pittsburg, KS
I'm in the middle of a SLAM right now...

I've read through, and really enjoy reading all of the "Green to Glistening" threads on here. And I have read the SLAM procedure.

My question is...
In the SLAM procedure it says add chemicals to bring the chlorine level up to SLAM check and add as needed

In the threads I've read several times that once the chlorine level drops 2ish (very scientific and accurate I know!) ppm below the Shock level then it severely looses it's effectiveness to rid the pool of the nasties.

Would it not be better to shoot a little high on the chlorine level 3-5ppm or so, maybe a little higher depending on how fast it's depleted, so that the level doesn't drop below Shock level before you "rinse & repeat"?

I know that too high chlorine level can have a negative effect on equipment, but at what level does that occur?

It's OK to overshoot just by 1-2 FC but more than that does accelerate wear on parts, especially vinyl liners. It's not a disaster to go 5 ppm more but there's no reason to go that high. There's no set rule on how much the FC has to drop before you add again. Just wait at least 30 minutes between addition, testing and the next addition. The more often you test and add during a SLAM, the faster it will go, keeping that FC near the target most of the time.

Congrats on taking control of the pool... and I hope you have some before and after pictures?!?!

I've read several times that once the chlorine level drops 2ish (very scientific and accurate I know!) ppm below the Shock level then it severely looses it's effectiveness to rid the pool of the nasties.
That is something of an exaggeration. People get a little too enthusiastic sometimes.

When you are just starting the SLAM it is important to check and adjust the FC level frequently, preferably once an hour. As the process proceeds you can cut down on how frequently you check, but never less than twice a day.

The recommended SLAM levels take into account how the process is written, i.e. that the FC level will fall before you get around to raising it again, and are the appropriate levels to target.

Within reason is fine. Vinyl liners need extra caution so that they aren't bleached out. We try to be extra careful with that. A few or so PPM over dose target so that you maintain target is a good thing.

I overshot by choice. Just pour bleach slowly or you will get fading on your liner.

- - - Updated - - -

I would also change your gallons. The pool cannot really be filled to the full 48". I changed mine and measured at 15x3.5 ft deep and it worked better. So I would change yours to 4,000 gallons. I am sure someone can back me up on this.

Same here on the gallons, different pool but same frame height. The height of my frame is 48" but that is not the depth of water. Mine is 3.5' and that is what I have found to be an accurate calculation. For me it is the difference between 7600 gallons (if the water was 48" deep) or 6700 gallons with the water being 3.5'.
:)
Happy SLAMming! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.