My pool still green..need help

May 1, 2015
Dallas texas
So, my pump stopped working so well and the pool turned green. Ordered new pump Hayward 1.0 HP which is the same as always. Added 3 gallons bleach as test said 0. Let the pool run for 1 day, cleaned filters, ran another day, cleaned filter. Then have let run for 3 days with PSI normal. Pool looks like there is no small particles anymore but still green. Tested yesterday and my FC is 12, CC is 0.8 and CYA is 90 but I read not to believe that completely as pool is so green that I cannot see the bottom of the deep end. I'm letting the pool run 24 hours a day but there has not been any improvement in color in two days. Any advice appreciated.

Clearing up algae is a process, not a one time application of chlorine.

You need to SLAM the pool to get this cleaned up. See How To SLAM Your Pool.

I slammed the pool with Clorox bleach following the guidelines 5 days ago. Now my FC = 12 and CC 0.8. I am not used to using bleach so only my second summer converting from using chlorine. Not used to it taking so long to clear up.

Welcome! :wave:

That pool didn't turn into green soup in only a couple days, so it won't clear up that quickly, either. Running the pump 24/7 won't help unless you stop the algae from reproducing, and that means chlorine. Lots of it. And not powdered chlorine, either. Powders and pucks are probably what drove your CYA level up so high.

This thread has links to lots of other threads that show how people tamed the green monster.

To get rid of the green, you need chlorine!!!

SLAM means Shock Level And MAINTAIN. Maintaining is the key.

With you r CYA being so high, you are not even reaching SLAM levels so I'm not surprised the pool hasn't budged in color. You need to do a partial drain refill to bring the CYA down to a more manageable number, like 50 ppm.

I can only guess that you did not read Jason's link in post #2. You are no where near the right level of FC for your CYA level. Normally, I would tell you here in my post what it should be, but you really need to click the link and read it. You keep saying FC of 12, that is not the right number. Also, if you had read his link you would not have had 0 FC in your pool ever, which allows the algae to grow like crazy and will make this process take much longer.

I can only guess that you did not read Jason's link in post #2. You are no where near the right level of FC for your CYA level. Normally, I would tell you here in my post what it should be, but you really need to click the link and read it. You keep saying FC of 12, that is not the right number. Also, if you had read his link you would not have had 0 FC in your pool ever, which allows the algae to grow like crazy and will make this process take much longer.

I did read all the posts! And all the info! I've had a pool for a very long time so I'm not new to pool ownership but am new to only using bleach and was just asking for assistance because the algae clearing is taking longer than when I used chlorine powder over a year ago. When I put the numbers of what the Taylor test that I purchased said the fc and cya are into the pool math program, it doesn't indicate that I need to add anything. However, the pool is still green and now it has been 6 days. The fc did get to 0 in the pool as the pump went out and I had to wait until shipment came in to add chemicals as there was no way to circulate the chemicals without a pump. I also read on this site not to believe the fc because the pool is very green and will make the fc falsely high. Thanks for your help but I'm still confused.

Oops....cya falsely high...not fc. I do. It trust that the cya is 90 at all because pool is very very green. The free chlorine is definitely 12. My Taylor test used the drop by drop method to determine and I tested two days in a row with same numbers showing. The cc changed from .6 to .8. ph is a bit low at 7.0 but I added acid based on high alkaline levels from adding bleach.

Regardless of your source of chlorine, the slam process is the same. The level of chlorine you need to target AND MAINTAIN is around 34. Your level of 12 is simply not high enough to stay ahead of the algae. Also, you need to be brushing the pool to break up the clumps of algae that have inevitably formed.

Not to sound snarky, but your posts clearly show that you do not have a clear understanding of the SLAM process and CYA/chlorine relationship.

Keep posting your questions and we will be happy to help you on your way to a Trouble Free Pool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Please click this link Chlorine CYA Chart and tell me what it says the shock level is for cya of 90.

You can add bleach and mix it in with a brush. You should be brushing anyway, part of slam process. The only way to kill algae is to maintain shock level of FC for your cya level until it your pool passes the three criteria for a successful slam.

Anytime you let your FC drop below min for your cya level algae will start to grow again.

This is how to SLAM Your Pool

I just finished a SLAM. It took 13 days and my pool was not green. It will take time. You need to keep your FC at shock level and test as often as you can, but not more than once an hour. If you do this, I promise you will see results. I agree with the previous post that your SLAM shock level should be 34.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a link to my testimonial. It includes a link to my SLAM process at the end. I hope you find it helpful.

It is on page 4 post 71
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/20949-Testimonials/page4

Regardless of your source of chlorine, the slam process is the same. The level of chlorine you need to target AND MAINTAIN is around 34. Your level of 12 is simply not high enough to stay ahead of the algae. Also, you need to be brushing the pool to break up the clumps of algae that have inevitably formed.

Not to sound snarky, but your posts clearly show that you do not have a clear understanding of the SLAM process and CYA/chlorine relationship.

Keep posting your questions and we will be happy to help you on your way to a Trouble Free Pool!

Actually I do not have a clear understanding which is why I falsely assumed posting was for....to get assistance by asking questions. You do sound snarky in your responses and I do not feel at all welcome to to post...in fact you have made me feel stupid and I'm trying my best to understand with converting to bleach instead of powdered chlorine which is what I used up until last year. I am reading every chance I get and learning as I go.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Lisa! I will go read and come back with more questions!

Actually I do not have a clear understanding which is why I falsely assumed posting was for....to get assistance by asking questions. You do sound snarky in your responses and I do not feel at all welcome to to post...in fact you have made me feel stupid and I'm trying my best to understand with converting to bleach instead of powdered chlorine which is what I used up until last year. I am reading every chance I get and learning as I go.

- - - Updated - - -

Your welcome

Here is a step by step
Your cya is 90
The Chlorine CYA Chart says that shock level for FC for 90 is 35 ppm
Using PoolMath, putting 15,000 in gallons, putting 12 as the starting point and 35 as the target says to add 520 oz of 8.25% bleach.
Run the pump for 30 minutes after you add the bleach and retest to validate that the level is 35ppm. If it is not then adjust your poo, gallons up or down so that your PoolMath calculations match what actually happens.
Test the FC at least two times per day and up to 8 times per day at first if you can and bring the FC level up to 35 every time.
Keep a record of your results and when you notice that your FC usage drops to 2-3ppm per day then you can begin to test for the three criteria that indicate that you are finished with the SLAM.
Those three criteria are:
CC is 0.5 or lower
You pass an OCLT (ie*overnight FC loss test*shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less)
And the water is clear. When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

Good luck with SLAMing Your Pool! :)

By the way, all blue text on this forum is a clickable link to more detailed information.

- - - Updated - - -

I apologize, then. I, as well as countless others have been in the same situation as you. I began with asking how to clear my pool, and must've read the resources here a dozen times before I really knew what I was doing, and I continue to learn. I appreciate now the constant suggestions to re-read the references, because that allowed me to fix my pool issues without having to ask everytime my chemistry/clarity was not perfect. Please continue to post your questions, unless you show a clear disregard for our advice, no one should make you feel unwelcome. Keep us updated on your progress and be receptive to the advice given and in no time you will be the one offering advice!

In regards to cloudy water affecting the CYA test results, it's my understanding that this is a somewhat overstated worry. I would trust the 90 CYA result that you got with your kit and dose accordingly.

When the water starts to clear some, you can always retest to verify it but if you're not trusting it and dosing too low you'll never get ahead of the algae and get to that clearer state to retest.

Go with the 90 and dose to 35 (according to pooldv's post and the CYA/FC chart) or an alternative would be to replace some water to lower that CYA as it's bordering on being unmanageable and a lower CYA would require less FC for your SLAM.

:)

Try to take it one step at a time. The powder you have used in the past is probably what got you to that high CYA.

As you're probably reading, the higher the CYA, the more FC you need.

Remember in pool math you have to put in your test results in the "now" boxes and your desired levels in the "target" boxes making sure you have the "gallons" filled in for "pool size" on the top left.

Just as test.. I changed my pool math tab (i always have it open lol) and put in 15000 with FC 12 in now, and FC 35 in target. I made it 8.25% of bleach and jug size 121 oz. and got the result pooldv posted which is to add 520oz.

I didn't change anything else. I just used pool math to find out how much bleach to add. Didn't put in all the other numbers. Since your pool is green and you're going to SLAM, during the slam you're only going to be testing your FC.

If you want to start at 100%, how about posting a full set of test results to make sure there's nothing overly wacky going on? Unless there's something overly strange with your numbers you'll only need to make sure your pH is at 7.2 and you'll be able to begin the SLAM.

Your FC needs to be under 10 to test that pH...but if your green and you haven't added anything since your last post, you may already be back down under 10.

Thanks for the help.....I just added the 3.5 gallons and will retest the fc in an hour. Also cleaned the filters again. Thanks so much for the posts....ill keep reading about slamming. I had already drained the pool a out 1/4 and refilled to reduce cya last week but cannot drain more as two pools on my street have floated when replastering and had to be repaired so afraid to drain more than that at one time so just going to focus on getting the pool clean and stable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.