Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 14' Solar Cover

1. Back To Top    #1

14' Solar Cover

I the owner of a 14' Intex Ultra Frame pool. It's the best kind... it was free!

Anyway, it seems to be an odd size, and it's even discontinued from Intex. I'm having trouble locating a solar cover for it. I'm hoping with all the expertise and experience on this forum, someone can point me in the right direction.

This will be my 3rd season with the pool. Being a small pool the water temp fluctuates ALOT, and the water never really stayed warm enough to swim in. (it was too cold for my wife to get in on the 4th of July last year!)

Your advice it greatly appreciated!
    Intex UltraFrame 14ft x 48in deep, 3,700 Gallon, Intex 14-Inch Krystal Clear 1,600 gph Sand Filter Pump, Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 14' Solar Cover

Welcome to TFP!

Most likely the best you will be able to do is buy a 15' cover and cut 6" off per side with scissors. The solar covers cut easily and that's how I do it for my free form pool.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

A quick question about solar covers.

Does it need to sit completely within the frame of the pool?
    And are they usually secured in some way or just free floating?
    Intex UltraFrame 14ft x 48in deep, 3,700 Gallon, Intex 14-Inch Krystal Clear 1,600 gph Sand Filter Pump, Taylor K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

I just bought my first cover and will need to cut to size as well.

From all the reading on this forum I have learned:

1. Always place the cover bubble side down.

2. When trimming to fit, it's good to have 2 inches of clearance between the cover and the walls.

as far as I know just free floating.

and some folks say (depending on size) that cutting the cover in half or even thirds makes
    it easier to remove and place. But I think thats for larger and free form styled pools.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, to all of that and free floating too! Here's to warm pool water!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

It's easy to cut. Mine is pretty close to the size of the pool. Here's a link to a movie I made showing me cutting the cover. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...l=1#post758881
    Hope it helps.

I did the cutting using regular scissors, nothing fancy. So far very happy with the cover.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida