Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine testing for SWG Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine testing for SWG Pool

Is there a way to test the daily total chlorine level in a SWG pool? With a CYA of 75 to 80 the recommended FC level is 5 to 6. I have the TF100 kit but, the OTO test only goes up to 5. Daily testing using the FAS/DPD will tell me but, it will rapidly use up my reagents.
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Chlorine testing for SWG Pool

Daily testing using the FAS/DPD will tell me but, it will rapidly use up my reagents.
    but if you need that precision, that's the correct way to do it.

Costwise, there are about 100 scoops of DPD powder and 1440 drops of R-871 (about 90 some tests with an FC of 7.5). So, perhaps 100 complete tests using the FAS/DPD component in the kit or about 16 cents for each test.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

FAS/DPD is the only way to accurately test above 5.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Steve, after a while, you'll be able to tell what your pool does. Once you can predict with good accuracy what your FC readings will be, You can test every other day or even two. This will change a little with bather load, peak summer time weather etc...but you will get to know your pool, and be able to know exactly what it's doing under most conditions. At first, and until you have a really good feel for it, the FAS/DPD testing really wont cost you much. It will pay for itself many times over when it keeps you out of the pool store or whatever.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

What I do is to use the full FAS-DPD test once a week. That test is used to see if the percentage needs adjusting on the SWG. Then the rest of the week I use the OTO chlorine test as an easy way to make sure that nothing is going completely wrong. If the OTO test reads 5, then I assume everything is fine. But if OTO reads less than 5 it is time to do a FAS-DPD test and figure out what is going wrong.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

You can easily get and find 1/4# bottles of the powder and 20 ounce bottles of the reagent which lasts a long time.
    Central TX / 12K GAL / IG / SWG / DE filter / Pentair SVRS & 3 swim jet pumps / Spa bench and jets / Single body of water / No heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

A couple more tips...

Use the 10 mil sample instead of the 25 mil sample.

Also, in most cases you can use 1 scoop of powder instead of 2; as long as the sample turns pink, 1 scoop is fine.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you for all your tips! My recent SLAM ate through my reagent. Too bad they don't make an OTO Kit for higher ranges.
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

wait a sec, the chlorine test kit that came w/ the k2005 goes up to 10...so whats the difference?
    12000g pool + 1000g spa. Jandy 2.0hp epump + separate Jandy pump for Sheer Descent. Jandy CV Cartridge Filter. Jandy Lxi gas heater. Tropical Breeze PebbleTec. Aqualink. Aquapure SWG. Nature 2. The Pool Cleaner 2x. Taylor K-2005.

10. Back To Top    #10

The discreteness of the results. That test reads in large ranges.
    Central TX / 12K GAL / IG / SWG / DE filter / Pentair SVRS & 3 swim jet pumps / Spa bench and jets / Single body of water / No heater.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by eqbob View Post
    The discreteness of the results. That test reads in large ranges.
    if you own a salt pool (which i do) , owning the higher level test seems to make more sense. i was pretty much able to say my water was at 6 (estimation of colors) and confirmed with the FAS/DPD that i was at 5.8.
    12000g pool + 1000g spa. Jandy 2.0hp epump + separate Jandy pump for Sheer Descent. Jandy CV Cartridge Filter. Jandy Lxi gas heater. Tropical Breeze PebbleTec. Aqualink. Aquapure SWG. Nature 2. The Pool Cleaner 2x. Taylor K-2005.