Need Help Identifying Pump

So i inherited a nightmare....but i'm determined to turn it into a blessing.... with your help that is.

A friend passed away and I was left his house which has a pool not touched in well over 8 months. The pool is green and brown and the whole setup looks pretty sad. The neighbors have even come over and asked me to get it cleaned up because they are worried about West Nile and such.

I turned the system on about a week ago to see what i was dealing with. The motor instantly started making a terrible screeching and scraping noise, however the pump and filter were chugging along just fine. I let it run for a few minutes but then turned it off before the neighbors started coming over to complain about that... I got online and learned it was likely the bearings that needed replacing. I went out to the pool with a buddy the next day and this time it never turned on, instead the motor just hummed. My buddy said the impeller was probably jammed. He suggested taking the whole motor out, cleaning it and replacing the bearings. We successfully removed the motor, cleaned it up, and actually replaced the 2 sets of bearings. Though the motor looked like it had been through **** and back again, it cleaned up pretty well. Even my buddy who at first suggested replacing it changed his mind after cleaning it up. I told him I knew from reading online that if we were to take the motor out we should get all new seals and replace them when putting it back together. I said i'd order the items online and should have them within a few days. But this is where the nightmare begins...

I can not for the life of me tell wheat type of pump i have and if its even the right pump for this system. Was this system pieced together? Were there substitute parts used just to hold it over? What problems have been created by not having the proper system in place? So i need some help, and for the record, this is the only pool i have ever worked on so im clueless about most of this stuff. If anyone needs more information, let me know.

Facts: Kidney Sized In-ground Pool. Im guessing about 17,000gallons
2 intakes (bottom drain and surface skimmer) but only 1 return spout
The filter is a DELEA42054 - which i have conclude is a DE filter from Leslie but Manufactured from Hayward.
The motor is a Megnatek / 8-177080-24 / 1HP / CX / 230-115 / 3450rpm / SF 1.65 / CONT / Y56Y / serial BP11-047

problems:

1) i have no idea what pump brand or model the motor is attached to.

2) I believe it is galvanized piping coming out of the ground from both pool intakes is and lead to a cast iron suction trap...an old one. I say an old one because i can not match up the same part numbers online. Example, I have printed on the inside of my suction lid C3-29D... i could only find a C3-30 online. Similarly the suction trap body i have is imprinted with C53-4 but could only find online C53-5B. My guess is this is an older model and the parts listings are not readily available online. How am i going to be sure i am getting the right parts for my system without finding at least a cross reference guide for these parts?

3) the suction trap is attached to the cast iron pump casing printed with a part number: 01-63D and the letter A in a square box. Again, couldnt find anything online to cross reference with it.

4) I did find on the sears parts site an old grainy parts diagram for a Sta-rite pump H13D1 which showed the old suction trap part number but beyond that coudnt match the Sta-rite pump H13D1 to anything beyond the sear site.

5) i took the impeller out and there was a part number on it of C105-117P but upon looking that up i couldnt reference it to any particular pump other than learning its only a 3/4HP impeller and its on a 1HP motor. Upon further reading i believe that means I'm only going to get the strength of a 3/4 motor ...which may give an explanation to why the previous owner always complained how difficult it was to keep clean.

I am attaching some pictures. They look worse than what it actually is since prior to this the owner had been testing for leaks in the system. So the duct tape or plastic wrap is purely cosmetic.... lol...it all has been removed and there were no leaks they're just older pics.

If i can get some guidance as to the pump on this system and the right go-kit to purchase. Also if the impeller is wrong... i'd so appreciate the help!

JT

View attachment 35837View attachment 35840View attachment 35838View attachment 35839View attachment 35835

As mentioned above, it really does help us to know where you are much of the time, as climate, etc may influence our advice. As to your specific setup a few wider angle photos giving an overview would likely be helpful.

Ike

wow....i appreciate everyone's prompt responses!

Like i mentioned in my post, i inherited this property after a friend passed. Sadly, it's been more of a struggle maintaining the property not to mention the whole probate process. Even worse there is currently very little to no equity in the property due to his refinancing of the mortgage more often than he should have. I have been spending so much money that i don't have right now just to keep the house safe, secure, and manageable. I am not sure yet what I plan to do with the house in the near future but that decision will likely aid me in other decisions like if i want to put in a whole new pool system.

That all being said, I did learn a few things on my own this morning doing even more research. I stated the pump was cast iron however i learned it also could be bronze. Also, i mentioned that i saw on the cast iron (or bronze) pump casing a part number of 01-63D with an A in a square.... well it is actually C1-63D with an A in a square. And finally, I took some more pictures and have attached them. While i was moving the motor in position to snap the shots, i noticed between where all those copper coils are and the outside casing of the motor a huge chunk of "something"....i took a stick to yank out this mass, and out popped a fried lizard about 6" long. Perhaps he contributed to my problem.... but at least i get a snack for later on today.

Here are the pics.... again i know the simple way would to just buy another motor, but it may not be the best use of my funds right now so im trying to work around that for the interim. It does beg the questions though, wouldn't i still need to know the pump part number so i can get the correct seals and such?

thanks again for your help!

View attachment 35847
View attachment 35848
View attachment 35849
View attachment 35850

What I fear it that after new bearings, rubber seals and a bearing puller you'll be in $100 bucks and that's about half the cost of used pumps off Craig's List in your area. Even then after you assemble it, will it work?

I see very little info on your pump, all the diagrams seem to be the same, none of which have the bearings listed. You may need to pull them and find something similar.

Try reaching out to these guys. Annoying videos, yes, but they seem to tear down many brand of motors and can probably find the parts you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9AszqPJb50

What also scares me that tape on the intake pipes. Can you even be sure they will not leak air? It may be worth cramming a shopvac in the hole and see if you can suck water up through the pipes. If you choose to replace the pump, I'd probably remove the 90 bends coming out of the ground and go to plastic there and then use plastic 90's and Tees to go to the pump. Have to wonder that the tape is on the pipes for a reason.

Cast iron would never have lasted this long. It sure looks like it's bronze and that would make sense for it's age. It could very well be the original pump when the pool was built.

If this pool has been sitting for 8 months and it's brown maybe just pumping it dry (sump pump, rented ?) and waiting until you get the house ownership settled would be a good idea. What are your thoughts on what to do if you can't get parts soon ??

You might try taking the photos on your phone in to a couple pool stores and see if someone knows what it is. I don't want to sound prejudice but look for an old guy or gal :) It's like working on an older muscle car. The older people are more likely to know about them and help you compared to a younger one who keeps saying without a model number they can't do anything. I would imagine most were replaced decades ago but then again you're out in CA. and maybe there are some of those old pumps still working and some pool store somewhere has a bunch of parts.

I have to say I'd rather have that old heavy pump than my plastic Hayward if I could get parts for it. If you can get parts the two speed motor would be a nice upgrade and save you some money in the long run. Your other post on the cleaner not working is likely a function of the motor starting to go. With your size pool you shouldn't really need a 1 horse motor and if you are able to get pump parts a 3/4 horse, two speed motor would be a nice way to go. My guess on the motor is whoever came out when the previous motor failed didn't have a 3/4hp on the truck and just substituted a 1hp in it's place. You can always go bigger you just can't go smaller.

I was given two used Hayward pumps and both were so badly corroded that the steel inserts in the plastic busted out trying to get the fasteners out of them making them both junk. I've replace all the hardware on my good pump with stainless steel so it doesn't happen to it.

- - - Updated - - -

The OP talked about the tape being from previous owner checking for leaks but not finding any and the tape has been removed. But I too am still seeing it in the photo ???

My buddy came back over tonight to check on my progress finding a go-kit so he could try putting it all back together and seeing if it sparks up. I read him everyone's comments and he too is still in favor of buying a new pump setup....BUT then i reminded him we already did most of the motor rebuild. He actually had a bearing puller and we already replaced the top bearing... he had one the right size in his garage (he rebuilds everything)... it was amazing how well the motor shaft turned once that part alone was replaced. he was planning on replacing the other bearing before putting it back together. We cleaned up everything else and figured before i jump in and get a new pump lets just get a new shaft seal, gaskets, and o-rings (better yet a go-kit) and see what happens. If it doesn't pan out well im out the $30 for the kt and ill bite the bullet and get a new pump. But before i can get to that point, i still need to know what kind of go-kit to get....and i can only get that info by knowing what kind of pump i have. Is that correct? Ill swing by leslie's tomorrow and see what the old timers have to say.... lol

thanks again for everyones input... ill keep you posted!

P.S. as for the possible leaks before the suction trap.... the gorilla tape is still there but there is no evidence there was a leak in those spots. The previous owner just sealed all the joints looking for a possible leak. What I have learned is the gate valve on the intake from the pool drain is mangled. It leaks and you can turn it forever either way and sometimes you make it to the end, and sometimes you dont... there is a click you feel at some point and sometimes it catches and sometimes it doesnt. Anyway, that is where the leak is. Replacing that will be a job for a plumber i think... you can see this in the shot from above in my first post... the green plastic wrap was used to test if that was where the air in the filter was coming from... and i believe it was... but the pump was also leaking where the shaft seal was hence another reason for opening the motor up in the first place....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
well everyone will be happy to learn (OK well maybe not everyone.... but i sure was) that Los Angeles Department Of Water & Power is offering a rebate program of up to $1,000 (yes!!! $1,000) to replace your existing out of date single speed pool pump and replace it with one of the newer multi speed pumps...throw in Pentair's $100.00 visa gift card for purchasing one of their multi-speed pumps and I may actually PROFIT a few bucks off this little deal..... which i will gladly use to purchase a new raft...one with one of those cool beer caddys on it.

But while doing my research on these Pentair pumps i was pretty disturbed when i noticed the prices were increased by a couple hundred bucks the same week the rebate offer went in to effect. This now brings the price close to the actual rebate amount... but then there's the requirement thats it MUST be installed by a Certified Pool Wizard Extraordinaire (i may have that title wrong) which will probably run a few hundred dollars. Now see, i'm back to the same few hundred dollars it was gonna cost me for a simple new motor for my existing set up.

But since this generous rebate offer really seems like the way to go, i am now hoping out there amongst all of you there is at least one of you from Los Angeles and are one of those State Certified Pool Gods (I don't think thats the legal title either) and can sell me this motor AND install it for $,1000 or less... Or did they raise the prices across the board so no matter what, it's going to cost me a chunk of money?

Fingers crossed youre out there, or someone knows of someone.... thanks again....

Jeff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.