So i inherited a nightmare....but i'm determined to turn it into a blessing.... with your help that is.
A friend passed away and I was left his house which has a pool not touched in well over 8 months. The pool is green and brown and the whole setup looks pretty sad. The neighbors have even come over and asked me to get it cleaned up because they are worried about West Nile and such.
I turned the system on about a week ago to see what i was dealing with. The motor instantly started making a terrible screeching and scraping noise, however the pump and filter were chugging along just fine. I let it run for a few minutes but then turned it off before the neighbors started coming over to complain about that... I got online and learned it was likely the bearings that needed replacing. I went out to the pool with a buddy the next day and this time it never turned on, instead the motor just hummed. My buddy said the impeller was probably jammed. He suggested taking the whole motor out, cleaning it and replacing the bearings. We successfully removed the motor, cleaned it up, and actually replaced the 2 sets of bearings. Though the motor looked like it had been through **** and back again, it cleaned up pretty well. Even my buddy who at first suggested replacing it changed his mind after cleaning it up. I told him I knew from reading online that if we were to take the motor out we should get all new seals and replace them when putting it back together. I said i'd order the items online and should have them within a few days. But this is where the nightmare begins...
I can not for the life of me tell wheat type of pump i have and if its even the right pump for this system. Was this system pieced together? Were there substitute parts used just to hold it over? What problems have been created by not having the proper system in place? So i need some help, and for the record, this is the only pool i have ever worked on so im clueless about most of this stuff. If anyone needs more information, let me know.
Facts: Kidney Sized In-ground Pool. Im guessing about 17,000gallons
2 intakes (bottom drain and surface skimmer) but only 1 return spout
The filter is a DELEA42054 - which i have conclude is a DE filter from Leslie but Manufactured from Hayward.
The motor is a Megnatek / 8-177080-24 / 1HP / CX / 230-115 / 3450rpm / SF 1.65 / CONT / Y56Y / serial BP11-047
1) i have no idea what pump brand or model the motor is attached to.
2) I believe it is galvanized piping coming out of the ground from both pool intakes is and lead to a cast iron suction trap...an old one. I say an old one because i can not match up the same part numbers online. Example, I have printed on the inside of my suction lid C3-29D... i could only find a C3-30 online. Similarly the suction trap body i have is imprinted with C53-4 but could only find online C53-5B. My guess is this is an older model and the parts listings are not readily available online. How am i going to be sure i am getting the right parts for my system without finding at least a cross reference guide for these parts?
3) the suction trap is attached to the cast iron pump casing printed with a part number: 01-63D and the letter A in a square box. Again, couldnt find anything online to cross reference with it.
4) I did find on the sears parts site an old grainy parts diagram for a Sta-rite pump H13D1 which showed the old suction trap part number but beyond that coudnt match the Sta-rite pump H13D1 to anything beyond the sear site.
5) i took the impeller out and there was a part number on it of C105-117P but upon looking that up i couldnt reference it to any particular pump other than learning its only a 3/4HP impeller and its on a 1HP motor. Upon further reading i believe that means I'm only going to get the strength of a 3/4 motor ...which may give an explanation to why the previous owner always complained how difficult it was to keep clean.
I am attaching some pictures. They look worse than what it actually is since prior to this the owner had been testing for leaks in the system. So the duct tape or plastic wrap is purely cosmetic.... lol...it all has been removed and there were no leaks they're just older pics.
If i can get some guidance as to the pump on this system and the right go-kit to purchase. Also if the impeller is wrong... i'd so appreciate the help!
Attachment 35837Attachment 35840Attachment 35838Attachment 35839Attachment 35835