Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Heater Auto Standby?

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Heater Auto Standby?

Hi everyone. I have a new Hayward ng heater 400k btu. I also have pool automation through iAqualink.

I set the temp to not heat for several days since it wasnt going to be in use. Today i turned on the mantain heat schedule. I checked the iAqualink app and saw that it was still on, but temp was not going up, which can only mean one thing: the heater is in standby mode (i know this because it happened before when a guest messed with it.) But, no guest had been there, so no one messed with it this time. Does it automatically go into standby mode if not used for several days? If so any way to rake this setting off? Its impossible for me to heat my pool remotlet now because someone now has to physically go there to take the heater out of standby mode...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Heater Auto Standby?

The heater should only stop being able to heat if someone changes the front panel settings or if one of the safety systems triggers. It is very difficult to change a front panel setting by accident.

Unfortunately, the only way I can think of to get any more information about what happened is to go examine the heater in person.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I am assuming that You have a H400FD model. Going into standby can happen if the heater is wired for what is called a three wire control and the heater is not put into what is called BO operation. For the control you have it should be wired for a 2 wire control and put into BO operation. I have included a link to the installation and owners manual and this information is on page 30 of the installation manual.

http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manu...stallation.pdf

http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manu...xxFDOwners.pdf

If needed private message you phone number and I will call. I will then post what transpired here.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com

4. Back To Top    #4

It was in BO operation and working perfectly. Could be controlled by my phone with iaqualink. However, guests would mess with the heater to try to increase the heat, etc. So i had my pool guy put a cover over the panel so it couldnt be played with...worked great. Then, we had no guests for about 1 week so i turned off the mantain temp setting on the automation and just ran the pump for a few hrs per day. Now i try to turn on heater again and its not geating the pool...which means its on standby so it must have automatically went into standby mode...
    Guess ill have my pool guy look into it and call Hayward to see how to stop this from happening next time

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Sounds like an automation issue. What automation system do you have? Have you physically looked at the heaters display to see what it says?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

6. Back To Top    #6

I have iAqualink. Works great. Yes went to heater and it was on Standby mode. Just needed to click the arrow on front panel of the heater to bring it out of standby...which is annoying because that has to be done physically at the heater...