Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best IG nat gas pool heater brand?

1. Back To Top    #1

Best IG nat gas pool heater brand?

Hi there,

I am in central Ontario and looking to replace a broken heater. I am wondering what everyone recommends when it comes to IG nat gas pool heaters?
    Jandy, Hayward, Raypak?

Thanks everyone!
    -Adam
    Size - 50,000 Litres / 13,208 g (32' x 16' x 4.5' Sport Pool)
    Filter - Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter
    Salt Water - Zodiak LM2
    Pump - Jacuzzi Magnum Force
    Heater - Laars LT LT250NS-C
    IG Pool (Vinyl)
    2003-2005 ish

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best IG nat gas pool heater brand?

A quick search of the forum would determine that Raypak gets the best feedback.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Raypak! It is the simplest most straight forward heater with out any extra bells/whistles. Nothing extra to break and cost you more down the road.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    Raypak! It is the simplest most straight forward heater with out any extra bells/whistles. Nothing extra to break and cost you more down the road.
    20K gal, vinyl, 1 HP Challenger 2-spd pump, 300 lb sand filter, Raypak 266K BTU, 45M stenner pumpin' bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Actually it depends if you have a saltwater pool vs. Chlorine. Hayward is better for saltwater...its internal parts are deigned to resist corrosion from saltwater. If chlorine then Raypak is slightly better but not worth paying an extra $200...if you can get the same btus with Raypak for under $200 difference from Hayward, i would say go for it. If its over $200 difference, get Hayward. I have a saltwater pool...my new Hayward is awesome. Fires up and heats the whole pool. And is pretty small in size

6. Back To Top    #6

I have never heard this before. They all use copper or cupro-nickle heat exchangers. What proof do you have that Hayward is more resistant?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by biggdaddy3456 View Post
    Actually it depends if you have a saltwater pool vs. Chlorine. Hayward is better for saltwater...its internal parts are deigned to resist corrosion from saltwater. If chlorine then Raypak is slightly better but not worth paying an extra $200...if you can get the same btus with Raypak for under $200 difference from Hayward, i would say go for it. If its over $200 difference, get Hayward. I have a saltwater pool...my new Hayward is awesome. Fires up and heats the whole pool. And is pretty small in size
    There is no difference on brand/make for salt vs chlorine. This just simply is false. Yes copper vs cupro-nickle heat exchangers but even with constant poor chemical management you can eat thru cupro-nickle heat exchangers. Takes a little longer but they aren't bullet proof. Also, Hayward is usually the higher priced unit just given the name factor.

As stated above "Raypak! It is the simplest most straight forward heater with out any extra bells/whistles. Nothing extra to break and cost you more down the road." If you have one of the newer Hayward FD units, wait till your Hayward springs a leak in the heat exchanger, very common on the Hayward's due to the extrusion process on the copper, or the display board goes, or the ignitor control board resistor burns up, or when the keypad designates because they aren't protecting it from the elements. All issues I see over and over again on the FD Haywards. I and other techs I know have spoken at length with Hayward reps who seem to agree with all of these being issues yet they have told us that the Hayward engineers don't see problems. So I guess we are just making them up.

Now don't get me wrong, Hayward is a good company and has a very trusted name in the pool business but this FD model heater doesn't live up to the name. Back in the day they had an older FD style heater, IDL2 which also had issues right from the get go and they eventually scrapped it and went back to making a newer version of the ED1 which as the ED2 and that was a solid heater. Raypak had their issues in the early days but they certainly have learned from their mistakes/short comings and now have a very solid unit. I just hope they don't go screwing it up.

OK , rant over. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,