Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Got a new sand filter and I screwed up...

1. Back To Top    #1

Got a new sand filter and I screwed up...

So I bought a new sand filter along with a salt water system. Hooked it all up, poured pool sand into the sand filter and turned it on. Instead of reading the instructions, I set it to filter first instead of backwash and all the fine particles of the new sand went into my pool and now I can't see the bottom of the pool. I was just wondering if filtering overtime will get rid of it and make it back crystal clear or do I need to do something else?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Houston, Texas

Re: Got a new sand filter and I screwed up...

Hi, welcome to TFP! You can continually run the filter and brush the pool daily and eventually it will pick up all the sand. A quicker way would be to get something like an Aqua Broom and vacuum it all up. I don't think the small vacuum kits they sell for these pools would pick up sand very well.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Columbia, SC

I think screwing up is pouring a gallon of paint I the pool - this is probably just a minor irritation. As this is a lot of fines, it also may help to use the DE in sand filter trick to catch the fine particles.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide
    Sierra Vista, Az

If you can besides brushing daily, the Intex vacuume kit will get the sand up. I have one in addition to my auto cleaner. The vacuume can be a pain to use sometimes, but it will pick it up.
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process