Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Upgrading Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Upgrading Pump

Like many other I am upgrading my pump to a sand filter/SWG. I plan on cutting my liner for the new intake valves. My problem is I don't have any intex plunger valves and I don't want to pay $80 a pop for those. My plan was to use some PVC ball valves. I want to go at 90 degrees off the intake valve then connect the ball valve. Would something like this work? It looks like one end has 2" threads to accept the intake valve then an insert end for PVC then the PVC ball valve.

Elbow joint

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Upgrading Pump

Welcome to TFP!

Something along those lines is certainly possible.

Watch out when mixing Intex and non-Intex equipment. Intex uses non-standard connectors, which require special adapters to connect to anyone else's parts.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok somehow my post disappeared. I am upgrading to a larger sandfilter pump/SWG. I plan on cutting my liner. I don't have any Intex plunger valves and don't want to spend $80 a piece on them. What I want to do is create a 90 degree angle off the intake valve then add a pvc ball valve then connect it to my 1.5" flex tube that came with the pump.
    Intake valve I assume with thread is 2" to connect my tube like normal. so can I use this elbow to connect to the intake?

Ok so you think the elbow might not screw into the intake?

4. Back To Top    #4

Well it looks like the intex hoses won't be snug with my connectors....now I don't know what to do.

Is there a part I can screw on to this Intake to stop water from coming in?