Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool and spa in Design Phase. Northern Virginia.

1. Back To Top    #1

Wink New Pool and spa in Design Phase. Northern Virginia.

New Pool being built spring 2015.

Inground 700 sq ft., 24ft x 43ft freeform
    50 sq.ft spa, 18 inch raised and overflow
    SWG or new Hayward Ozone with inline chlorinator
    Hayward equipment:
    - 450 sq.ft Cartridge filter
    - 400k heater
    - P4 Controller with Wifi Aqua Connect and Aqua Pod
    - LED Lights
    - SharkVac
    30 foot RBB with 2 sheer descents
    50sf tanning ledge w/ LED bubbler
    2 boosters
    Quartz finish
    aggregate decking

Just a few quick drawings of what we are thinking.
    pool1.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    pool3.jpg
    pool4.jpg
    New Pool build summer 2015 - IG / 24ft x 43.6ft freeform / 50 sq.ft spa, raised and overflowing / SWG / Hayward equipment: 2.5 hp 2 speed and 1.5 hp tristar pumps /450 sq.ft Cartridge, 400k heater, PS8 Controller, Wifi Aqua Connect and Aqua Pod, 2 large LED Lights and 1 spall / SharkVac XL / 35 foot RBB with 2 sheer descents / 56sf tanning ledge w/ LED bubbler / Quartz paster / aggregate decking.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool and spa in Design Phase. Northern Virginia.

Skip the ozone and the inline chlorinator and get SWG.

Ozone is pointless in outdoor residential pools.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Skip the ozone and the inline chlorinator and get SWG.

Ozone is pointless in outdoor residential pools.
    x2 on JBlizzle - although I'm mixed on the SWG since I'm in Texas and we like our soft stone. I'd also look at a larger filter for that size of pool. Good luck!
    New DIY IG pool in Houston, Texas. 4/30 dig to 6/11 fill. 20' x 42.5' free form pool/raised spa with the following equipment: 3hp Intelliflow pump shared between pool/spa, 120gpm Pentair Waterfall pump, 6' sheer decent, 2 bubblers, 2 large color LEDs in the pool/1 small in the spa, Easytouch 8 with ScreenLogic2, Stenner Pump, auto fill, a 2HP silencer pump for the spa, 850 sq. ft Sundeck, Dolphin Supreme M500 and a TF100+mixer

4. Back To Top    #4

Is this from your selected PB, or are you still in the PB selection phase?
    Pool build spring/summer 2015. IG. 750 sq ft pool. 40 sq.ft spa. 18ft x 42ft rectangle, 31,000 gallons, SWG, DE Pentair model, 2 boosters variable speed model, heater master temp Pentair, Quartz finish Aegean Green, CoverStar Automated Pool Cover, Kreepy Krawley Platinum, TF100,SpeedStir My Build in Progress

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the insight guys. Not sure why the PB is insisting this new system is better than anything else. Maybe he gets a good deal on them or something. He did say he would replace the Ozone system with SWG if we didn't like it.

- - - Updated - - -

We just made the selection on the PB.
    New Pool build summer 2015 - IG / 24ft x 43.6ft freeform / 50 sq.ft spa, raised and overflowing / SWG / Hayward equipment: 2.5 hp 2 speed and 1.5 hp tristar pumps /450 sq.ft Cartridge, 400k heater, PS8 Controller, Wifi Aqua Connect and Aqua Pod, 2 large LED Lights and 1 spall / SharkVac XL / 35 foot RBB with 2 sheer descents / 56sf tanning ledge w/ LED bubbler / Quartz paster / aggregate decking.

6. Back To Top    #6

Builders do not seem to understand how to actually maintain the chemistry.
    They certainly do not understand the FC/CYA relationship or how tablets will get you into trouble.
    I would guess they are getting a kick back on pushing the ozone.

There are many threads that discuss it if you search.
    Here is one that discusses the ozone/UV: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ools-The-Truth!
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Jekyll,

A few other thoughts (for what it's worth...)

- I'd get a larger filter for that size pool (already mentioned this)
    - You might want to consider a robotic cleaner ...They are very energy efficient and do a great job cleaning
    - PebbleSheen or WetEdge Level 1 likely will cost you about $1500 more and is more durable ...Quartz can be more blotchy, but is smoother
    - You have a large pool, so you might want to consider making the tanning ledge a foot longer or add a bench at the end
    - You might like the view of the pool better if your overflow is open instead of a gap

I hope this helps. This site is great for learning!
    New DIY IG pool in Houston, Texas. 4/30 dig to 6/11 fill. 20' x 42.5' free form pool/raised spa with the following equipment: 3hp Intelliflow pump shared between pool/spa, 120gpm Pentair Waterfall pump, 6' sheer decent, 2 bubblers, 2 large color LEDs in the pool/1 small in the spa, Easytouch 8 with ScreenLogic2, Stenner Pump, auto fill, a 2HP silencer pump for the spa, 850 sq. ft Sundeck, Dolphin Supreme M500 and a TF100+mixer

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by TW Pool View Post
    - You might like the view of the pool better if your overflow is open instead of a gap
    I thought that too and had my previous pool built that way. All it did was allow the birds to stand on the overflow to get water ... and then poo all over my pool deck and fence.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

sorry, I don't follow the 'overflow', is that from the spa to the pool?
    Pool build spring/summer 2015. IG. 750 sq ft pool. 40 sq.ft spa. 18ft x 42ft rectangle, 31,000 gallons, SWG, DE Pentair model, 2 boosters variable speed model, heater master temp Pentair, Quartz finish Aegean Green, CoverStar Automated Pool Cover, Kreepy Krawley Platinum, TF100,SpeedStir My Build in Progress

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by poolnorthernva View Post
    sorry, I don't follow the 'overflow', is that from the spa to the pool?
    Yes.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Builders do not seem to understand how to actually maintain the chemistry.
    They certainly do not understand the FC/CYA relationship or how tablets will get you into trouble.
    I would guess they are getting a kick back on pushing the ozone.

There are many threads that discuss it if you search.
    Here is one that discusses the ozone/UV: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ools-The-Truth!
    So there really isn't any new technology in this type of sanitizer? The PB said they have something new that does a much better job, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by TW Pool View Post
    - I'd get a larger filter for that size pool (already mentioned this)
    - You might want to consider a robotic cleaner ...They are very energy efficient and do a great job cleaning
    - PebbleSheen or WetEdge Level 1 likely will cost you about $1500 more and is more durable ...Quartz can be more blotchy, but is smoother
    - You have a large pool, so you might want to consider making the tanning ledge a foot longer or add a bench at the end
    Thanks for the input, we are still planning so everything is helpful. I'm pretty sure I'll run out of money before this is over.

I'll check into the filter. The one we were spec'd is has the Microban, not sure if that matters or not.
    I thought the SharkVAC XL was a robotic cleaner.
    Good info on the plaster. i'll ask about that also.
    Tanning ledge is 56 sqft or so, I wanted to make sure we had enough room to play volleyball and stuff like that.
    The over will be cut out, The drawing doesn't show that, so i'll make sure.

Take care.

12. Back To Top    #12

I would put a bench, or two, on the back wall of the pool for sitting and sipping beverages and chatting with people in the hot tub. Also kids like to play on them.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

13. Back To Top    #13

Finally have a chance to post some updates.

Added a 9 foot bench on the back wall and had a pvc sleeve put in it and one on the tanning deck for a volleyball net.
    Extended the tanning one and a half feet, didn't seem big enough when they dug it out.

Tile, stone and coping should be going in later this week, along with Electrical.

Here are some pictures.

Before Dig.

After Dig

Rebar

Plumbing

Gunite

Take care

14. Back To Top    #14

Fantastic! It's amazing how quickly they can move if they aren't getting torrential rains. Glad to see things moving along for summer.