Salt generator not making enough chlorine

I think you'll find the vinegar really works. Do you store the pump/filter in a nice place for the winter? I love mine but have only had it for two seasons. I do want to ask you if you have a filter/pump that catches small and large debris prior to the water going into the saltwater filter? I want to put something in front of the filter to catch all that stuff.

I do not have that particular cell but I do find that mine is frequently in need of cleaning or I get a low flow alert. I use MA to clean but have used vinegar in a pinch. It cannot hurt if done as directed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you'll find the vinegar really works. Do you store the pump/filter in a nice place for the winter? I love mine but have only had it for two seasons. I do want to ask you if you have a filter/pump that catches small and large debris prior to the water going into the saltwater filter? I want to put something in front of the filter to catch all that stuff.

I've only gone through one winter with this pool, but I left all the equipment hooked up during the winter, but because of my leaf problem, I didn't run the pump during a large part of it. I'm considering unhooking the pump/motor this winter and storing it in my garage. I wonder if I should also drain my sand filter and store that in the garage... I don't know if there's any bad reasons why I shouldn't do that.

I don't understand hour question about the saltwater filter because I don't know what a salt water filter is. My setup is: water -> skimmer -> skimmer basket catches largest debris -> pump basket catches large debris that makes it past the skimmer -> pump/moter -> sand filter -> SWG (which contains no additional filters I know of) -> jet that returns water to the pool.

Update: I've done the maintainance and soaked it in vinegar. I also discovered that it's very easy to remove the part that contains the plates out of the case, which you'd think would make inspection easier. But it still isn't all that easy, because the plates are very close to each other, and enclosed by a plastic housing, that comes out with the plates as one module. I can look into the end though, but because of how close the plates are, you can't really get a good look at their surfaces. So I just soaked them to be sure.

Theoretically it seems like I shouldn't need to soak them inside the SWG as the manual says, but could just put the part containing the plates in a small container of vinegar, but the SWG itself is a small container when you think of it, so I just soaked it right there inside the SWG as the manual says.

Also, something happened yesterday that annoyed me. I was adding water to the pool because it was low, and just as I was going to set my timer to beep every 30 minutes so I could check on the water level, I got into a conversation with my wife and forgot to set it. We went out to dinner, and I came home to an overflowing pool. Probably the water had been running for 2.5 or 3 hours. :thumbdown:

Today, after I cleaned the SWG, I figured that my CYA was already a bit low, and possibly the overflowing of the pool might have lowered it further, so I just put in one 3 inch chlorine tablet (into the skimmer basket), which should marginally raise it. In a few days I'll remeasure my CYA. Meanwhile I turned off the SWG, because experience tells me that one tablet will more than compensate for the chlorine my SWG would produce. When it dissolves and my FC is sufficiently low, I'll turn on the SWG, and then we shall see how it performs.

When I had an Intex SWG quite a few years ago it was very easy to see the calcium build up at the beginning of the plates and between the plates. It would completely block part of the space between the plates.

You aren't the only one who has to set alarms to turn stuff on/off and even that doesn't work sometimes! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.