I have a Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System® Model CS8110, which just purchased (and installed myself) in the middle of swimming season last year. I had it turned off during the winter, but when I started it up in the spring, it seems like it wasn't generating any chlorine.
The salt levels are right at 3000 ppm, which is perfect, so that's not it. I did have a bad algae problem, but I've since then SLAMmed, and the water is fine now. I did recently try increasing the hours. I think I used to run it 1-2 hours a day, which was enough to maintain my chlorine level. (Right now I'm using chlorine bleach until I can get the generator working again.)
I just tried increasing to 5 hours a day, and I'm suspecting it's probably generating some chlorine. In 3.5 days, my chlorine levels dropped from 9 ppm to 5 ppm, but I feel like that's less of a drop than I'd've had with no salt generator, so I suspect it's making some chlorine. Furthermore, I can see gas bubbles forming near the cell, which I suspect are chlorine gas.
I just consulted the troubleshooting tips of my manual under the problem of "insufficient chlorine":
• Insufficient operating hours of
the Saltwater System.
• The salt level in the pool water
is less than 2000ppm. This is
• Chlorine loss due to intense
• The bather load has increased.
• Clogged or dirty electrolytic cell.
I think I can rule out all but the last one. For that last one, it says: Remove the cell for inspection, clean it if necessary. See “Maintenance”.
I confess I've never done this. The manual says to inspect it monthly. It further says "The electrolytic cell (6) has a self cleaning function incorporated into the electronic control's programming. In most cases this self cleaning action will keep the cell working at optimum efficiency. If the pool water is hard (high mineral content) the cell may require periodic manual cleaning."
I don't think my water is extremely hard, and actually it was freshly filled last year (because that's when the pool was built) from a water truck using Austin municipal water, which is not hard, but I've added water countless times from my hose due to evaporation, backwashing, and one unfortunate episode when I accidentally siphoned out maybe 1/6 of the pool. My house water is hard enough that I have a water softener, so I suppose this could be the culprit.
Therefore, this weekend I plan on the cell inspection and cleaning. The instructions say to plug up either end of the housing (using something called a cell cover) so that I can fill it up with vinegar. I hope I have the cover they speak of; I don't remember seeing it. Still, if it came with the generator, I doubt I would have thrown it out.
Oh well, I guess I don't really have a question at this point, as I think I know what I need to do. I hope soaking the plates with vinegar is all that's needed to resurrect it. And I hope I have this cell cover they speak of.