Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Sta-rite multiport settings

Sta-rite multiport settings

I noticed that my filter has a 'Winter' setting on the multiport valve. What state does that put the valve in, and is it equivalent to setting the handle to an intermediate position for closing?

Tx,

Kelly
    15X30 AGP, Lomart beaded liner;
    1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump with 21 inch sand filter (Zeobrite media)
    Mineral Springs (Aquatrol) SWCG, Rigid PVC plumbing, 2 inch
    Four 4X12 Techno-Solis solar panels, rack mounted, Goldline Solar Controller

Re: Sta-rite multiport settings

The "winter" setting is the same as an in between position, it allows everything to flow to everything. Basically it is a way of making sure that the valve drains out completely and doesn't have some water left in one of the ports that could freeze and damage the valve.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

It also prevents the spider gasket (wagon wheel) from bonding to the key assembly and shredding the first time you turn it in the spring 8)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

Should I remove and lubricate the spider gasket anway (and store it out of the filter for the winter)? Also, after the filter is drained, do I leave the drain plug out for the winter (if so should I cover it so mice don't decide to winter out in there)?

Thanks!

We probably have the same filter as you. Once the valve is set to "Winter" that's where it stays. We don't remove anything from the valve. Drain cap is left off and I store it in my skimmer basket in the shed so it's easy to find in the spring. I don't cover the drain hole. I think it would be difficult for mice to do anything there.

Thanks. I"ll probably do the same unless someone convinces me otherwise. That filter looks too cumbersome (heavy?) to drag inside for the winter. I'm also guessing that despite the "winter" setting it wouldn't hurt to remove the gasket and lubricate it at some point.

Kelly