Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I have a (new) leaking solar pool water system on my roof.

1. Back To Top    #1

I have a (new) leaking solar pool water system on my roof.

I had a roof re done, and had the pool water solar system removed and reinstalled by a solar company in Sacramento that does installs, etc.

The panels are fine, as are most of the pipes, except on one section where it keeps leaking. It's a "pipe up" and a "pipe down" right before and after the roof jacks. They have been out at least twice fixing it, and when I turned it on the other day - first time this year - it leaks like a sieve. It's ABS pipe. He says he's using the right sealant. There must be three or four individual joints leaking.

It's out of warranty - one year- but I'm going to see if he'll come back and fix it. But I don't have high hopes.

I think people use ABS because it's black and looks better, and the original installer used it and it worked fine for at least 8 years with out leaking a drop.

I'm planning to redo it my self if I have to.

What do I have to do to insure it works? Is Oatey Black the correct stuff? I suspect he is using a "transition cement", and it's failing.

BTW, even a tiny leak is unacceptable, because it will eat away my new rain gutters in a year or two.

Thanks in advance...
    SWG: CircuPool (May 2014) SI30+Plus; 3000ppm seems ideal;
    My Ideal Specs:
    FC 5; PH 7.4-7.6; TA 90; CH 350; CYA 75; = SI ~ 0.19
    14,000 gal, in ground, plaster, Cartridge filter, Borates
    TAYLOR K - 2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I have a (new) leaking solar pool water system on my roof.

Oatey Black is suitable for ABS to ABS joints. It is not alright for ABS to PVC joints. For ABS to PVC joints you want to use something like Oatey ABS To PVC Transition Green Cement.

If done properly these joints will never leak, so something was being done wrong. However, it is not so easy to say what specific mistake was made.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: I have a (new) leaking solar pool water system on my roof.

It will take the pressure of my solar "lift" and "fall" as it powers up, OK?

BTW, thanks for your quick answer. I just texted the guy. I hope he's good for it.
    SWG: CircuPool (May 2014) SI30+Plus; 3000ppm seems ideal;
    My Ideal Specs:
    FC 5; PH 7.4-7.6; TA 90; CH 350; CYA 75; = SI ~ 0.19
    14,000 gal, in ground, plaster, Cartridge filter, Borates
    TAYLOR K - 2006