First time owner - SLAM in progress - Cloudy water - CC rising

Hello and thank you for this great resource! Based on the many posts here I had the confidence to start up our new swampy mess which hadn't been running for at least 18 months.

As the previous owner neglected the pool and left it uncovered, there was a considerable amount of organic debris at the bottom and I wasn't adequately removing it with my simple leaf net. Once I began with my new deep net it was a game changer! I have pulled out most solid debris from the bottom and have been Slamming the pool for about eight days now. Based on your recommendations, I am using a TF-100 and your guides to test the pool.

The pool is very cloudy, I can not see the bottom - I have been backwashing my sand filter once or twice a day for the last few days.

as of 28/04/15 @ 18:57
FC = 26
CC = 4
PH - Not Tested (Previously 7.4)
TA = 100
CH = 275
CYA = 45

As of 30/04/15 @ 7:00
FC = 14
CC = 5.5
PH - Not Tested (Previously 7.4)
TA = Not Tested
CH = Not Tested
CYA = 45

Why is my Combined Chlorine (CC) rising? - What do I need to do to bring it down to .5 as recommended
Is cloudy water at this stage normal? It might be improving each day - just not as quickly as I may be unrealistically expecting.

Again, thank you in advance and thanks for maintaining this great resource!

Ryan

Welcome to TFP!!

You are ahead of most folks who show up in that you have read throught he site and have your test kit. Great job!!

CC is basically an intermediate stage of organics as the chlorine oxidises them. During a SLAM I wouldn't worry about the CC until closer to the end of your SLAM. Right now your goal is to keep testing and adjusting the FC back to 20 as many times a day as you can (no more often than every 30 minutes). Brush the pool at least once a day and see if you can net/scoop anything else out of the bottom.

Just as an aside, there is no CYA = 45 with a TF-100. The scale on the tube is not linear, so half way between 40 and 50 is really not 45.

Only backwash when the pressure on the filter goes up 20-25% over clean pressure, meaning if your clean pressure is 10 wait until it gets to 12 or a little above before you clean it. A slightly dirty sand filter actually cleans better....

After the water is clear, then start worrying about cc. Once you have clear water and pass the CC test then do the OCLT.

I have been SLAMing by pool for a couple weeks now. Thought it was never going to get better, but it did. Just thought you should know in case you are as impatient as I am. Pool Owner Patients (POP) really does apply. Stay on top of the FC level not allowing to drop below SLAM level and you will fine.

I have been SLAMing by pool for a couple weeks now. Thought it was never going to get better, but it did. Just thought you should know in case you are as impatient as I am. Pool Owner Patients (POP) really does apply. Stay on top of the FC level not allowing to drop below SLAM level and you will fine.

I agree with Poolsteve. It is a slow process that does not happen overnight, but it will happen. Just keep your FC at or slightly above shock level. Remember to compensate if you can only test in the morning and evening. I just bump my shock level up in the morning if I know I can not test. I am very close to the end of my SLAM and I am elated with the progress I have made.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.