Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: adding borates

1. Back To Top    #1

adding borates

Hi folks, I'm several weeks away from opening this season due to liner issues. As I'm new to maintaining our pool I'm trying to have all I need on hand, knowledge included. Elsewhere in here it says to mix dry chemicals in water before adding to a pool. My question is do I need to do this with Boric acid? I went back and read all posts pertaining to borates/boric acid I could find.
    thanks
    Ernie
    18' x 38' 20,500 gallon vinyl IGP, 3.5 - 7' depth, Pentair FNS Plus DE filter,
    2hp Whisperflo high performance pump, 1.1hp boost-rite pump for the cleaner,
    250k BTU MasterTemp heater, LetroLegend pool cleaner, Hayward TurboCell GLX-CELL-15 chlorine generator
    Speedstir, K-1776, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: adding borates

Pre-dissolving is a good general rule, but it is not important for boric acid. Granular boric acid can be distributed across the surface of the pool, and will dissolve very quickly. If you see any accumulating on the bottom of the pool, you should brush it around a bit, but it is rare to need to do that.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: adding borates

Thanks Jason.
    18' x 38' 20,500 gallon vinyl IGP, 3.5 - 7' depth, Pentair FNS Plus DE filter,
    2hp Whisperflo high performance pump, 1.1hp boost-rite pump for the cleaner,
    250k BTU MasterTemp heater, LetroLegend pool cleaner, Hayward TurboCell GLX-CELL-15 chlorine generator
    Speedstir, K-1776, TF-100