Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: solar pool cover

1. Back To Top    #1

solar pool cover

I need to purchase solar cover for my in-ground pool ( kind of first season ) pool is irregular a kidney shape. I need it for warming the water and for lower evaporation rate ( we are in draught and water is being limited ) I also need to purchase a manual roller. Do I buy bigger cover and cut to shape. what recommendations you have.
    mayooo
    in-ground 30,000 gallon
    new filter and Gas heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: solar pool cover

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, you get a larger cover and then cut it to shape.

I recommend getting one of the thinner, lighter, less expensive covers. Covers rarely last more than two years, even if you get the fancier kinds. So it isn't really worth spending a lot of money on a fancier one. The less expensive covers are also easier to handle.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a kidney shaped pool and couldn't figure out how to use a roller with it. Ended up cutting in 3 sections and attaching 1.25" PVC to each and manually rolling. My 12 gauge cover lasted about 1.5 years, just installed a 14 gauge. They're all junk. Wrinkles never seem to flatten, a few broken pockets grow algae, seams suck air into the wrinkles... just a pain. Thinking about not using one, but they sure do save water! You'd think someone would make a better cover. Also thinking about just using that liquid stuff, but that seems like snake oil to me.

Anyone tried something like this? http://www.recreonics.com/thermal_pool_covers.htm
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48” PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by tcat View Post
    I have a kidney shaped pool and couldn't figure out how to use a roller with it...
    Really? I can cover lagoon shaped pool without any issues.
    Lagoon shape, 23,600 Gal, steel walls by International Swimming Pools, "ultra-seam" liner by Latham, Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo 3HP Variable Speed Pump, PentAir CCP420 filter, Heat Siphon Z575HP, PentAir IC40 SWG, 2 LED Lights (Pentair Intellibrite 5G, 110V). 4 x 1.5’’return lines, 2 x 2’’skimmer lines, 1.5’’ waterfall line. All plumbing is "TigerFlex" pipe, all lines plumbed individually. Deck: travertine glued over concrete.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Ukie View Post
    Really? I can cover lagoon shaped pool without any issues.
    Half the pool has coping at pool level, the other half is +2 feet with steps at each end. You can kind of see from this picture.

IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48” PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB