Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My ODK build progess *** COMPLETED***

1. Back To Top    #1

My ODK build progess *** COMPLETED***

Today is day 3 into my build, about 8 hours worth of work.
    Framing for the main grill and side burner is complete. a nacksplash and L attachment will be next.

I used 2.5x1.25" 25 gauge steel tracks for the frames. Sides will be covered with 1/4" and top will be 1/2" hardibacker. I have a 12" overhang at the bar area which will be supported with 1/2" iron angle bars.

grill area will be 28x98 and bar is 26x74

overall studs were cut 35" height. After adding the composite decking board, i can flush a 3x5 hardiboard with minimal cutting. Completed height should be about 37.25".

Finish sides will be covered with Dryvits and granite countertop

20150429_170906_resized.jpg
    SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My ODK build progess

Looks Nice!! I'd ask when the party was but have already made my trip to the bay area......
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Looking good man, keep the pics comming!
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

4. Back To Top    #4

Looking very good!!
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014
    My ODK Build | My Pool Build | If You're From Texas Vote Here

5. Back To Top    #5

Here's another update as of 5.06, been busy so I only had about 2 additional hours into it. Finished out all the bar framing, door cutouts. Next step is to put some the hardiboards on the side and order my stucco. A local company carries both Dryvit and BMI, they said it's basically the same but BMI is a almost 1/2 the price. Does anyone have any comments it them?

We went to the granite company and picked out a color only to find that the only color we liked is out of stock. It's gonna be another month before they have it so we're going to wait for it. once stucco, I imagine I can start enjoying the bbq while I wait for the counter top.

SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********

6. Back To Top    #6

Just wanted to give an update on my finish product. Been done for a month just haven't had time to post the progress.

Took me just over a month to finish only because I had to juggle between travels and kids. If I had the time to do it, I could have gotten this finished in 2 weekends working 8 hours a day. last thing to do is to get some pedestal and anchor the chairs on the floor of the bar area.

Needed some kind of hooks for the tools so I decided to add some colors to it.

SF Bay

7. Back To Top    #7

Re: My ODK build progess *** COMPLETED***

Looking good!

Did you choose BMI or Dryvit, in the end? And who was your supplier (we're having issues getting our Ameristone top coat, and could use another supplier)....

And where did you eventually get the granite? We've been to All Natural Stone in Dublin, and MS International in Hayward. I think we're getting the slab from Dublin...

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Sandi_k View Post
    Looking good!

Did you choose BMI or Dryvit, in the end? And who was your supplier (we're having issues getting our Ameristone top coat, and could use another supplier)....

And where did you eventually get the granite? We've been to All Natural Stone in Dublin, and MS International in Hayward. I think we're getting the slab from Dublin...
    I ended up with BMI, seems to do the trick. Cal Ply is where I got it. I believe they have an east bay location as well.

Granite I got at Terico only because their slabs were 1.5" thick no plywood was required. However, the quality isn't there. The cuts and edges were very rough and require ti be refinished slightly.

Are u looking for prefab or whole slab?
    SF Bay

9. Back To Top    #9

Yeah, we've been dealing with CalPly for the DryVit - and apparently the Ameristone topcoat has changed supplier. We finally got the sample of the new stone-in-acrylic, and it's much darker, with a bluer tone. We both prefer the original color, but we're fairly committed to the acrylic process, so I guess we'll still go with Ameristone/DryVit.

We've decided that we're getting our granite from All Natural Stone - we really like the Angola Silver slab color.

10. Back To Top    #10

Man that looks great! I especially like the globe street light. Nice touch!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

11. Back To Top    #11

Cool design

Did you use any support brackets for the bar overhang, or the outside edges support was enough?

Currently debating whether to do the same as you or have the whole thing overhanging.
    In construction (well, it is really permitted and we are waiting on PB to start digging, long story): 86 LF free form gunite, sundeck bubbler, jets on swimout. Hayward automation, pump (2-speed) and 40K gallon SWS
    In design: 20' ODK not idea what is going to look like yet

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by tj7885 View Post
    Cool design

Did you use any support brackets for the bar overhang, or the outside edges support was enough?

Currently debating whether to do the same as you or have the whole thing overhanging.
    I don't have any supports only because I was able to find 1.5 inch thick granite which can support 10 inch over hang with no brackets. I have 11 inches of over hang so I risked it. Only did this because it was to late to rebuild by the time I got to the counter top. If I were to do it all over again I would compensate for 3 inch lip round the counter so I can added some 2x3 lumber under for support and use standard 3/4 granite and add a fat 3" finish edge. It would look much better.

In short I don't recommend it, I simply screwed up but got lucky in the end.
    SF Bay

13. Back To Top    #13

Can you give me a ballpark estimate what you spent on the steel studs and cement board?
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

14. Back To Top    #14

I think around 500. The bulk of the cost is in the accessories and grill. The drawers and doors cost as much as the grill

SF Bay

15. Back To Top    #15

Very cool Dannieboiz! We're in Oakland and I've been thinking about mine for a long time. I've excavated the area for the BBQ Island and in fact, as I type this, they're out there framing for a concrete base. I'm thinking of a Blaze professional grill and I'm also thinking of just creating my own doors since, as you said, the accessories can end up costing as much as the grill itself!

16. Back To Top    #16

Very nice! How did you attach you steel framing together? Rivets?
    2015 Build, Stonescapes Mini Pebble-Blue Sea, 46.5'x23', 9' deep, Paramount IFCS on steps and shelfs, 8' spa with spillover, Quartzite Flagstone Coping and Patio, 3" Suctions and Returns, 1 skimmer, 6 Jandy LED Watercolor lights, Baja Shelf w/ diving rock, 2x 2HP Jandy VS E-Pump, Jandy LXI 400K BTU Heater Cupro/Nickel exchanger, Cartridge Filter, Grotto/Waterfall/ Slide, Jandy SWG, I-aqualink 2.0