Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt level not increasing after 4 bags of salt?

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt level not increasing after 4 bags of salt?

Opened my pool about 7 weeks ago. Salt level was very low( off scale) added 2 bags from Walmart. Level came up to 2500 ppm. Have added 2 more bags since and still says 2500? Wondering if my cell is bad? The "inspect cell " light keeps coming on. I hold the button down to reset it but still comes on after a day or two. I would think there should be enough salt by now. I have had the generator for 4 years now and still the original cell. Time to change cell?
    22K IG. 250 lbs sand filter. SWCG. Fiberglass.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt level not increasing after 4 bags of salt?

How are you testing the salt? Do you have a salt test kit?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm such a dumb ***! I do have a salt test kit. I will test in the am and compare to generator readings. I will post results. Thanks!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by trickyr11 View Post
    I'm such a dumb ***! I do have a salt test kit. I will test in the am and compare to generator readings. I will post results. Thanks!
    Great!!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Also, what is the water temperature? Many SWGs have problems measuring the salt level when the water is cold (50 or below).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I always get the low salt warning until my water is over 60 degrees. I test with the Taylor kit to be sure.

I am not even sure if my SWG (compupool) makes chlorine when it says that??? Have to call them.

That is why I usually wait until mid to late May to open.
    Last edited by JasonLion; 04-29-2015 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Removed off topic comments
    30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

7. Back To Top    #7

Yep, I use bleach until the water is above 60. I added way too much salt to my pool one year because of the low salt error.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by bdex View Post
    I always get the low salt warning until my water is over 60 degrees. I test with the Taylor kit to be sure.

I am not even sure if my SWG (compupool) makes chlorine when it says that??? Have to call them.

That is why I usually wait until mid to late May to open.
    I had the problem that my Aqua-rite was generating only for 20-25 minutes with water temps at 60 degf today and then salt level was dropping fast to 0 .Now with 65 degf it is generating for the last 5 hrs and going on...

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok just tested with Taylor salt test kit. Reading 6400 ppm. Check it twice! Water temp today is 73. I have a spare cell. Gonna try it and will post results

- - - Updated - - -

Oh cell is still reading 2400 ppm today

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by windman View Post
    I had the problem that my Aqua-rite was generating only for 20-25 minutes with water temps at 60 degf today and then salt level was dropping fast to 0 .Now with 65 degf it is generating for the last 5 hrs and going on...
    The Goldline units automatically limit the production rate to 20% (24 min) when temperature goes below 60F and then shut off at 50F.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

11. Back To Top    #11

Have you cleaned the cell?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

Maybe this is a silly suggestion but.....have you tried turning it off and then on again? My son the computer wiz (works for big tech co starting with G) says that a lot of technology like phones and such need that now and then. <shrug> Maybe worth trying?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

13. Back To Top    #13

Ok finally have some info. Was waiting on my Plumber to install a shut off valve in the return line. Took out the old cell. Was dirty. Clean with acid and water mix. Came clean. Put it back in and with in 10 min check salt and inspect cell lights on. Changed out the cell with a new t-15 and all is good now 24 hrs later. Salt Level is reading 3600. Was down to 1900 with old cell. No warning lights. Old cell was a t-9 and 4 years old. Had to run it about 50-70 % most of the hot part of summer. Went with a bit larger cell this time. Thanks for the feedback. Don't take it personally but hope I'm not posting in the future! Love this site!!