need help with new pump

bwh21

Apr 29, 2015
FL
Hey guys, I'm a fairly new pool owner and have to replace my inground pump. The pump that was installed when the pool was built is a Sta-rite Max-e-pro. It has a 2x2 port and I'm having a hard time finding a low cost replacement with a 2x2 port. I've got a couple of questions and appreciate any help you can give me.

1. I assume that I can buy an adapter for the port to get a pump with a 1.5" port to fit the 2" union assembly. Is that correct? I'm having a hard time finding an adapter like that online.

2. Can I use a corded pump without the cord somehow to connect it to my Goldline control box?

I was looking about an above ground pump apparently so I've found this Hayward Tristar that looks like a better pick.

I'm not sure what's wrong exactly with the old pump but it's about 8 years old and it's pretty beat up at this point. I'm fairly certain it's dead. Here's a link to 2 pics. As you can see it's taken a beating from the FL sun and humidity.

Thanks for the link to the adapter!!

Your current pump looks fine to me. It might need a new motor but it is up to you.

But unless you have a spa, the TriStar is probably way more pump than you need. Why do you need a pump that big?

Up front price should not be the only consideration when buying a pool pump, neither should a it being a direct drop in replacement for whatever was their before/originally. All too often pool builders give little consideration to the appropriateness of pumps, particularly on more turn key pool installations. Instead they go with what they can get cheap, and often have the one size fits all attitude so they can buy in bulk / carry less inventory. This typically means the pool owner ends up with a single speed pump that is often overkill for their needs if they do not have water features, etc. Often a smaller dual speed pump is more appropriate for many pool owners, and while more expensive upfront than a single speed pump, they can often make up for the price difference in short order due to savings in electricity. So if you tell us a bit more about your pool, we may be able to help you pick a pump that will save you money in the (not all that of a ) long run.

Up front price should not be the only consideration when buying a pool pump, neither should a it being a direct drop in replacement for whatever was their before/originally. All too often pool builders give little consideration to the appropriateness of pumps, particularly on more turn key pool installations. Instead they go with what they can get cheap, and often have the one size fits all attitude so they can buy in bulk / carry less inventory. This typically means the pool owner ends up with a single speed pump that is often overkill for their needs if they do not have water features, etc. Often a smaller dual speed pump is more appropriate for many pool owners, and while more expensive upfront than a single speed pump, they can often make up for the price difference in short order due to savings in electricity. So if you tell us a bit more about your pool, we may be able to help you pick a pump that will save you money in the (not all that of a ) long run.

It's a salt water pool of about 9K gallons. My current system runs off a Hayward Goldine controller with a solar heater.

If I were to replace the motor, is that a pretty easy fix? I've not worked with any kind of pump replacement previously. Something like this I assume?

That looks roughly right, but you should be able to find one much cheaper, however without knowing the exact model of your current pump we can't guide you to a specific suggestion. Your solar panels make the choice a little more complicated as it helps to know how they are installed, how high above ground, etc. As to changing out the motor there are a number of youtube videos that you may find helpful on the subject, some are better than others, but most brands of pumps are fairly similar.

p.s. if your pump is the 1 HP single speed pentair ae100 I suspect it uses a standard 1102 UST or B2853 motor available for about $140 new on ebay, and a bit more other places. (most likely a B2853)

That looks roughly right, but you should be able to find one much cheaper, however without knowing the exact model of your current pump we can't guide you to a specific suggestion. Your solar panels make the choice a little more complicated as it helps to know how they are installed, how high above ground, etc. As to changing out the motor there are a number of youtube videos that you may find helpful on the subject, some are better than others, but most brands of pumps are fairly similar.

p.s. if your pump is the 1 HP single speed pentair ae100 I suspect it uses a standard 1102 UST or B2853 motor available for about $140 new on ebay, and a bit more other places. (most likely a B2853)

Thanks for the help. This is the exact pump - Pentair Sta-Rite P6EA6E-205L Max-E-Pro.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They are different frames.

UQS is a two compartment 48Y square flange - Two Speed

UST is a two compartment 56J - Single Speed

You need to get a motor with a frame size that matches your pumps frame size.

For most people the simplest way to setup a two speed pump is to have a manual switch to change speed, which is normally left in the low speed position. Then the timer/automation system remains exactly as it was before. The only common exceptions are if you have a spa, or a pool cleaner that runs off of the main pump. Then you need to timer/automation system to understand about controlling a two speed pump. Nearly all automation systems are able to handle controlling a two speed pump, though you may or may not need to purchase a two speed relay. Most timers need to be upgraded to handle a two speed pump.

You can't put a smaller motor on a pump without changing the impeller too or the motor will fail.

What about a two speed motor, it isn't that much and would pay for itself fairly quickly.

http://www.inyopools.com/Products/0...rHAwDqnhu1X8ubdPkrHBYiZjukA1zOpacYaAnGp8P8HAQ

There's a good chance we will be selling the house within a year so I doubt I would be able to make my money back in that timeframe. If I just went with the 1HP in that model it should be a direct replacement I assume?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.