Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand In Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand In Pool

Hi All -

I recently replaced the sand in my Jacuzzi Laser 250L sand filter. When I did it, I checked the laterals and the stand pipe, and they all seemed fine (although I will admit, I don't really know what I am looking for other than visible cracks). Since putting it back together, there is sand coming into the pool through the returns. There is not a big pile of sand under the return, as I have read will happen when a lateral breaks. But there is a steady stream of sand blowing in when I run the filter.

The most concerning part to me is that this happens even when I set the filter to Whirlpool (which I think is the Jacuzzi equivalent of Re-Circulate). My understanding is that this setting would not touch the sand at all, so I am concerned that the problem is bigger than just a cracked lateral or stand pipe. I could replace the whole valve, but I would hate to do that and then find out that it wasn't the problem. And I could obviously remove the sand and check all the laterals again. But, I thought I would post here before I tried anything else and see if you guys had any ideas.

Edit: I don't know if this is an important detail or not, but I used Zeolite instead of sand.

Thanks in advance,

-Travis
    Last edited by Travis Murray; 04-29-2015 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Additional Info

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Sand In Pool

Welcome to the forum. So what you are referring to as sand is actually ze0olite. The first thing that comes to my mind is that zeo sometimes takes some extra rinsing steps........have you performed those?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

No, I have not (I don't think). I backwashed for a few minutes and rinsed for a few minutes. Can you point me to the extra steps?

Thanks for your response!

4. Back To Top    #4

I think you just described the steps ... just more of it
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, that's easy, I guess!

How much more? Five minutes? Ten minutes? And should I alternate between backwash and rinse, or just do X minutes of one, then the other?

And does it make sense that I would be seeing zeolite go into the pool even on whirlpool (re-circulate) mode?

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, I backwashed for 5 minutes, then rinsed for five minutes. Thought it had done the trick, but after some time it started shooting zeolite back into the pool. Is there more I need to do to rinse it, or do I have another problem?

7. Back To Top    #7

No idea ... maybe this is why we recommend plain old sand.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Wish I had known that before.

9. Back To Top    #9

I would think the amount you see should diminish with time.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Well, I guess maybe I'll keep it running and see if that's the case.

11. Back To Top    #11

Just following up, in case anybody else stumbles upon this thread. In addition to the sand in the pool, I noticed that I was having a problem with back pressure. Any time I would turn off the filter, the pressure back toward the pool would blow off the skimmer cover, etc. I tracked it down to a pipe between the motor and the filter. I tightened that to fix the pressure issue, and lo and behold, the sand issue went away as well. Right now my pool is the clearest it has ever been, and I'm a very happy man.

12. Back To Top    #12

Hey, that's good news! Thanks for posting back the solution.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach