Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New build- design and quote process

1. Back To Top    #1

New build- design and quote process

Newbie here- Love the site and helpful posters.

We are currently in the "design/quote phase". We visited with 2 companies and each has submitted a design (one with pricing). We like one company and the design but would like to have an additional bid on his work. Is it standard to to use one companies design for another builder to bid?

Any suggestions for this part of the process?

I would like to post the design for y'all to review (if i can figure out how to post pics). I'm sure veteran pool owners will have insight that we may be missing.

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New build- design and quote process

Welcome to TFP!!!

How To Post Pictures
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP. Maybe not to outright take their design and give it to another builder. But, it is pretty normal to take ideas from each and refine your plan with ideas from each. Unless one of them just nailed the design and you love it.

Lots of us are happy to see your plan and give feedback.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

I would not give the second person the first bid. I would tell them the things that you like, but leave it at that. If you give the 2nd person the same design, you may stifle creativity. The 2nd person might have greater ideas than the first.
    IG W/Vinyl Liner Oval 18x40, 21K gal, Oval 3'-8'
    Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Sand Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Yev View Post
    I would not give the second person the first bid. I would tell them the things that you like, but leave it at that. If you give the 2nd person the same design, you may stifle creativity. The 2nd person might have greater ideas than the first.
    Agree 100% Just provide dimension/depth details, water features, and specific pool equipment requirements. See what they come back with.
    2015 Pool Build --> HERE IG 19'x47' w/ 7'x7' in pool spa; 3'6"-8' deep.
    Pentair 520 Filter, IntelliFlow VS XF Pump, IntelliChlor IC60 SWG, IntelliBrite/GloBrite LEDs, IntelliTouch w/Screenlogic2. 400K BTU heater. A&A G4V in-floor cleaning system. WetEdge Prism Matrix Pebble finish. TechoBloc Pavers and Coping.
    Test kits - Taylor K-2006 FAS/DPD, K-1766 Salt, SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

It is amazing how similar the pools will look if you draw your preferred design on the back of a napkin. This way, you will get the same general design, but you might see a few minor tweaks from different designs that you really like. I tended to try and get them to design it toward similar specs (perimeter, depths, L x W, features, equipment, etc.)

And I would tend to ignore pricing on your first run and try to learn about the offers and who you prefer as a builder. Once you are ready to lock in, you can use other prices against your selected PB.

Good luck!
    New DIY IG pool in Houston, Texas. 4/30 dig to 6/11 fill. 20' x 42.5' free form pool/raised spa with the following equipment: 3hp Intelliflow pump shared between pool/spa, 120gpm Pentair Waterfall pump, 6' sheer decent, 2 bubblers, 2 large color LEDs in the pool/1 small in the spa, Easytouch 8 with ScreenLogic2, Stenner Pump, auto fill, a 2HP silencer pump for the spa, 850 sq. ft Sundeck, Dolphin Supreme M500 and a TF100+mixer

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks everyone. Good insight!