Test Result Analysis

HouTX

Apr 13, 2015
Houston, TX
First a little bit of history. Purchased house in December, knew nothing about pools and did not have time on my plate to manage it (pool was not being used, weather was cold, water was sparkling clear). Prior to discovering this site, used test strips and pool store testing. At some points during this 2 month period the FC level may have been near zero. After adopting the TFP method I raised CYA from 40 to 70, and FC from 3 to 5, and pH from 8+ to 7.4. The results from this morning are as follows:

Salt 3100ppm (measured by SWG)
FC 5
CC .5
Ph 8
TA 90
CH 350
CYA 70

My questions + comments:

1. Ph tends to rise over time. I had it lowered to 7.4 two weeks ago
2. Will lowering TA to 80 help maintain Ph better?
3. Thinking about adding say 8-12oz of Cyanuric Acid weekly (determined over time) to keep Ph in check vs trying to lower Ph and TA and then raising Ph to desired range
4. Wife discovered dead rodent in skimmer this morning (may have been there 1-3 days), we have also found a dead bunny before, plus frogs. Do I need to shock the pool the test results being where they are ?
5. Pool looks clear & clean to the eye
6. Running pump 4 hours during the day and 2 hours at night. SWG is at 70%

Any advice / recommendations appreciated as always

1. Yup, that happens when you TA is a little high and the SWG itself causes aeration which will raise the pH.
2. Some, might need to get it down to 60-70ppm for the pH to not rise as quickly or stabilize
3. NO. Cyanuric acid is used to raise the CYA. Muriatic acid is used to lower the pH/TA. There is no problem with this plan to just keep the pH in the 7s.
4. If you FC and CC are staying where they should be, no real need to "shock". You can bump up the FC level some with bleach if it will make you feel better.
5. :party:
6. :goodjob:

On the dead things, I had that too and HATED it. Dreaded opening the skimmer and even devised a 3 foot long pole to remove the lid so I could distance myself. HATED IT. Then I found the Frog Log Animal Escape Ramp and bought 2 for my pool. Probably could have used only one but wanted one on each end. Since then, I have not had even one dead frog, or bird, or baby bunny, or anything else in my skimmer. It's been 2 years now, and ZERO wildlife in the skimmer. I've even watched frogs swim around the edge, find the frog log, and climb themselves right out. Yay! Before it was at least one frog or something a week. Gross. One is not holding up great and might need replaced this summer but I don't care--I'll buy another. Anyway, google it if you think you'd like it. (I'm not associated with frog log--just hate dead things in my skimmer!)

Sandra

Im sorry Sandra, but I found your post hilarious! LOL! (end of hijack).
:laughblue::laughblue:

On the dead things, I had that too and HATED it. Dreaded opening the skimmer and even devised a 3 foot long pole to remove the lid so I could distance myself. HATED IT. Then I found the Frog Log Animal Escape Ramp and bought 2 for my pool. Probably could have used only one but wanted one on each end. Since then, I have not had even one dead frog, or bird, or baby bunny, or anything else in my skimmer. It's been 2 years now, and ZERO wildlife in the skimmer. I've even watched frogs swim around the edge, find the frog log, and climb themselves right out. Yay! Before it was at least one frog or something a week. Gross. One is not holding up great and might need replaced this summer but I don't care--I'll buy another. Anyway, google it if you think you'd like it. (I'm not associated with frog log--just hate dead things in my skimmer!)

Sandra

- - - Updated - - -

What jblizzle says.

Good plan you have there.

First a little bit of history. Purchased house in December, knew nothing about pools and did not have time on my plate to manage it (pool was not being used, weather was cold, water was sparkling clear). Prior to discovering this site, used test strips and pool store testing. At some points during this 2 month period the FC level may have been near zero. After adopting the TFP method I raised CYA from 40 to 70, and FC from 3 to 5, and pH from 8+ to 7.4. The results from this morning are as follows:

Salt 3100ppm (measured by SWG)
FC 5
CC .5
Ph 8
TA 90
CH 350
CYA 70

My questions + comments:

1. Ph tends to rise over time. I had it lowered to 7.4 two weeks ago
2. Will lowering TA to 80 help maintain Ph better?
3. Thinking about adding say 8-12oz of Cyanuric Acid weekly (determined over time) to keep Ph in check vs trying to lower Ph and TA and then raising Ph to desired range
4. Wife discovered dead rodent in skimmer this morning (may have been there 1-3 days), we have also found a dead bunny before, plus frogs. Do I need to shock the pool the test results being where they are ?
5. Pool looks clear & clean to the eye
6. Running pump 4 hours during the day and 2 hours at night. SWG is at 70%

Any advice / recommendations appreciated as always

Results today:

FC 5.5
CC .5
PH 7.9
TA 80
CH 350
CYA 50 [!]

I started out at a CYA 45, 30 days ago, I added 4 pounds of CYA (in skimmer), checked it a week later and it was at 55. I added 2 more pounds and the reading was 70 last Tuesday. In my constant battle to lower pH :-xI added approx. 30oz of MA 5 days ago and that is the only change I have made. I have also reduced the run time of the 3 Sheer Descents to 3 minutes daily instead of 10 minutes (to reduce aeration).Weather has been mild and not much rain here in H Town. My pool level is stable but I have an auto-fill. What could cause this drop in CYA ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.