Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mineralizer System

1. Back To Top    #1

Mineralizer System

Hello Everyone. I'm new to this forum. Been browsing around the forum but couldn't find anything about a Mineralizer system. We purchased house with an inground pool. Pool size is 20'x40'. The pool company that came out suggested a Mineralizer system. So i went ahead and agreed on the install. My question is, can I have both salt chlorinator and Mineralizer system together? My wife doesn't react well to chlorine and bleach. The rep that I spoke too about the Mineralizer system suggested no-chlorine shock. I know it's a good idea to shock the pool every 1 1/2 weeks or so, but would I also need to add anything other chemicals with the system?

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mineralizer System

If you do a search of the forum you'll find very little "pro" mineralizer systems. Chlorine has gotten a bad rap and if your wife was reacting to something, it was likely either PH that was not in range or high CC or a combination.

Do a little homework but I'd try to get out of that contract ASAP until you understand a bit more what you are dealing with.

A properly chlorinated and maintained pool almost NEVER needs shocking, especially not weekly or every other. I shock my pool when I close it, and that's about it...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!!

Nearly all negative complaints about chlorine are due to an experience with an improperly maintained pool.

Also, a saltwater chlorinator is generating chlorine in the water. This chlorine is EXACTLY the same as would be added by bleach.

The minerals are a bad idea. Here is a post about supposed alternative sanitizers: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ools-The-Truth!
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the quick response. I spoke to a person that has the system in place and he said he likes it. He throws in a gallon of bleach every two weeks to kill all the stuff that silver and copper don't kill.

Can I have a combination of mineralizer system and salt chlorine generator?

5. Back To Top    #5

You certainly can have both mineralizer and a SWCG (Salt Water Chlorine Generator), but the mineralizer is a complete waste of money. You can learn to maintain your pool with a SWCG for free by reading around here and applying the principals you learn. The SWCG is all the sanitation you need. No need adding something that's solely designed to increase the profits of the pool store without any benefit to you or your pool. Also adding copper will in all likelihood cause staining of hair and pool surfaces at some point.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I already purchased the system. I'll see how well the system operates and if I don't like then I will have both systems. If I'm correct the SWCG will be the last piece before the pool right?

7. Back To Top    #7

just curious, but a mineralizer sounds expensive.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

8. Back To Top    #8

They are not that expensive, but still a complete waste. At best they do no harm and at worst stains everyone's hair green and stains the pool surface which can be very difficult to remove.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

9. Back To Top    #9

I got dealer discount, but as jblizzle mentioned they aren't that expensive. I will definitely keep an eye out on the stain part.

10. Back To Top    #10

If you see staining it is too late. I would just write off the expense and NOT have it installed if you can not get a refund.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

It will be too late once you notice anything staining.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

12. Back To Top    #12

Welcome to the forum. Just to reinforce what some of the other people have mentioned, your salt water generator is actually generating chlorine from the salt in the water. So even though you have a salt water pool, the water itself is still being sanitized by chlorine.
    16'x32' Inground Vinyl, 21,100 gallons, Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T 3.1ft Sand Filter
    TFTestKits, Pool School, ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, Chlorine/CYA Chart, PoolMath

13. Back To Top    #13

Once you see the staining, you have two choices. You can either drain and replace water to get the metal levels down, or add sequestrant to keep them in suspension, which is an ongoing issue because you have to keep adding it as long as there are metals in the water. Then there's still the stain you have to deal with and copper stains can be very hard to impossible to remove.

If you have it installed I would keep it turned to the lowest setting possible. I'd probably even keep it turned off most of the time.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

This is tough decision since not too much info out on the net about this. I might just go ahead and buy SWCG and have the installers install it the day of and leave the mineralizer out.

15. Back To Top    #15

What more information do you need that we do not have available?

I defy you to find more un-biased science-based pool information on the internet than you will find here
    Jason, TFP Moderator