Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: needing some help with my readings.

1. Back To Top    #1

needing some help with my readings.

We are first time pool owners. We have been left with an older pool, and nasty sand in the filter to boot!. We let the pool go green this winter, simply out of frustration. I am attempting to open it again and here are the readings the pool store gave me,

Fc .5
    Cya 10
    Ta 40
    Ph. 7.6

And they are trying to sell me a ton of stuff, I just want to know what I NEED. Ya know! I will check back in a few hours, have to pick up all the kiddos from school!! Thanks!!

- - - Updated - - -

And we are planning to replace,the sand. Should we do that before or after we clean the pool up?
    20gal, ag, 1.5 hp Hayward pump. Hayward sand filter, pool built in 2002, well water

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: needing some help with my readings.

1. Why do you think the sand is bad?

2. You must decide to do your own testing or keep going in to argue with the pool store. Choose one but don't try to blend what we say with what the pool store says.

3. You will need CYA, Chlorine for sure but you really need your own test kit with numbers that make sense......no one can measure 10 ppm CYA so that test is off.....the other are probably as well.

4. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. You need to get a grasp of the basics and we'll help you walk through managing the pool yourself.

5. How does your water look right now?

6. We can completely end your frustration but it won't be overnight and will take a commitment to learn on your part......we'll cheerlead and teach all they way!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Well, what you need is one of the Recommended Test Kits, because we do not trust pool store testing

After you order it and while you are waiting, you should work on the filter. I would start with a Deep Clean of your Sand Filter to see if it even needs to be replaced.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Since you already know what one trip to the pool store will cost if you take their advice, you should see that investing in a proper test kit will save you some big money in a very short time. You can read up on approved test kits in Pool School, or just jump ahead and order a TF100.​ With a green pool, the XL option is a necessity. If you can swing it, a speedstir is also worthwhile. Once you use it, you'll never go back.

About all you know for sure is that you'll need a test kit and bleach. The other chemicals are anybody's guess. I wouldn't trust a pool store test any more than I would trust someone swishing a sample around in their mouth and going by taste.

You can do it. This could be the last time you ever see green in your pool. So take pictures. And share them with us.

Some inspiration: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...rational-links
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I assumed the sand was bad because last year we took the filter apart, and the sand in the bottom was black and it stunk. However now that you have shown me I will be deep cleaning instead!
    20gal, ag, 1.5 hp Hayward pump. Hayward sand filter, pool built in 2002, well water

6. Back To Top    #6

7. Back To Top    #7

The K2006 has the same tests, but the TF-100 comes with more of the reagents you need so is a better deal. If you order the K2006, you better also order FAS-DPD and CYA reagent refills because you will need them.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by dwest View Post
    Here is a comparison, Test Kit Comparison
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    The K2006 has the same tests, but the TF-100 comes with more of the reagents you need so is a better deal. If you order the K2006, you better also order FAS-DPD and CYA reagent refills because you will need them.
    +1 to this. Especially since you're starting out green. Getting the TF-100 with the XL option is going to end up being better in the long run.

To clean up the pool you'll be testing for chlorine very often at first and the k2006 comes with some tiny amounts of the testing reagents meaning you'll need refills very soon after you start testing!

Might as well start out prepared!
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

10. Back To Top    #10

You have already done the first step in clearing your pool----------finding TFP and asking questions! Great job!

You next step will be to order the TF-100 XL. Like stated above you will need the XL to clear your pool. Depending on how green it is you may even use up all of the XL so...............better to start out the right way.

While you are waiting for your test kit look around for YOUR best source of bleach/chlorine. For some it is Walmart's plain, store brand bleach, for other is is the pool store using their jugs. Mine is my ACE Hardware just up the road using their jugs (have to pay a deposit for the jugs).

When you get your test kit let us know and we can help you with your levels and what you need.

See how much better FTP is than the pool store???? LOL

test kit and bleach=a clear pool!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Thank you all so much!! I will be orderi,g the kit as soon as I can

12. Back To Top    #12

Hopefully soon as you can not start your SLAM without the TF100.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter