Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: converting to BBB

1. Back To Top    #1

converting to BBB

I started converting from baquacil to BBB last Satuday. I think it is going pretty good, just slow because I have to work and really cannot check FC and add bleach as much as I need to. I have added 20 gallons of bleach so far and my test kit arrived yesterday.
    My filter is clogging up pretty quick and I think I need to vaccum more often. I am using a pool rover junior which works pretty good but I have seen posts that refer to vacuuming to waste. I am unsure how to do that. I am guessing that I would use the vacuum/hose that came with my pool and I would go through my filter but how do I vacuum to waste and not back into my pool ? I have a cartridge filter. Thanks
    17,000 gal IGP, White plaster, Hayward Swimclear Cartridge Filter system, Sta-Rite Max-e-pro 1/2 hp pump; 3/4 hp booster pump

Sacramento, CA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: converting to BBB

Most cartridge filters don't have a waste option.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Just my luck , thanks
    17,000 gal IGP, White plaster, Hayward Swimclear Cartridge Filter system, Sta-Rite Max-e-pro 1/2 hp pump; 3/4 hp booster pump

Sacramento, CA

4. Back To Top    #4

What you can do is get a 3 way valve, put it between your pump and your filter (in place of the pipe or hose that's presently there) and set it so that the water goes through your pump but out before getting to your filter. I've been thinking about doing that so if the pool gets "yucky" I don't have that stuff going into my cartridge. In my owner's manual for my Hayward filter, it actually says that's something you can do for things like heavy duty spring clean up, etc.
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

I actually think my conversion is complete today but what you suggested is a great idea , thanks

Sacramento, CA