Signed a Contract for a Pool in Houston...and nervous

Apr 29, 2015
Katy, TX
Hi All

We just signed a contract to build a pool and feeling extremely nervous.. About the entire build process... and just everything overall..and even if its a sound decision... almost like a buyers remorse...

Found this forum and am looking to hear everyone's experiences!

Its an inground - gunite, free form pool with raised spa...

Thanks and looking forward to learning...

Last edited:
Enjoy, take lots of pictures and don't forget to post them. Once you have it you will wonder why it took this long!

One other piece of advice that I took from here is to get as much patio as you can afford now.

I am hoping that I do wonder why it took too long :)

On the patio - we have to pay for 400 sq ft no matter how much we get...but we decided to not use the entire 400 with fear of making the backyard look small...

Welcome to TFP!

amytexas said:
...but we decided to not use the entire 400 with fear of making the backyard look small...
You might want to give this more thought. I haven't seen your backyard, but I can tell you this...Having a pool will likely add to the fixtures that will call your patio home (deck chairs, umbrellas, grills, tables, etc.). We have a large, mostly covered patio and, to us, it was a major selling feature in choosing our current house.

Welcome to TFP!

You might want to give this more thought. I haven't seen your backyard, but I can tell you this...Having a pool will likely add to the fixtures that will call your patio home (deck chairs, umbrellas, grills, tables, etc.). We have a large, mostly covered patio and, to us, it was a major selling feature in choosing our current house.

Maybe I should upload the pool drawing -it will give you'll an idea and ofcourse I will get advice.. :)

- - - Updated - - -

poollayout.jpg

i think you should say what kind of equipment you are getting - i say that because i got sold on a device that adds minerals to the water that these guys said is **** and a waste of time. also, your drawing is kinda small - but how many LED's are you adding and which kind? i have 2 small LEDs in the pool and wish i had 3. i traded out one big one for 2 small ones. looks like its going to be pretty! i TOTALLY get the buyers remorse, the pit in your stomach - it doesnt move TOO fast so you'll make changes most likely. we just finished in january - i moved the whole pool 6 ft after he drew it on our lawn despite our PB objections, but it turned out great - if i did it his way i'd have no room to put lounge chairs and have kids running around in front of them. good luck! looks nice and BIG!

I found the specs but seem convoluted.. will ask the hubby to decipher it.. lol..

The adds minerals story does ring a bell...do you not recommend it?

We have 1 LED In pool and 1 in spa.
Travertine coping (again I like the flagstone look but we were told flagstone was more rough and would increase price)

The buyers remorse.. only gets worse because of the fear of home values going down due to economy...

They come out to do the layout on Monday.. We are still waiting on HOA approvals..

I found the specs but seem convoluted.. will ask the hubby to decipher it.. lol..

The adds minerals story does ring a bell...do you not recommend it?

We have 1 LED In pool and 1 in spa.
Travertine coping (again I like the flagstone look but we were told flagstone was more rough and would increase price)

The buyers remorse.. only gets worse because of the fear of home values going down due to economy...

They come out to do the layout on Monday.. We are still waiting on HOA approvals..

Im talking about the Nature 2 - it supposedly adds minerals to the water that prevent algae. I had ZERO idea what the builder was talking about so i said, sure, why not? who wants algae, right!?!? LOL! they don't like it here as minerals cause problems, so i let the cartridge run out and didnt replace it...basically, waste of money. your pool looks really long, i'd ask about a comparison between LED and standard lights and if maybe having more than 1 light in the pool might be a nice idea if its going to be dimmer than a standard (non led) bulb. i chose 2 smaller led bulbs over one big one and wish id gotten 1 more - they're nowhere near as bright as a standard bulb but that could just be my brand. i love the color changes though!

As far as home value, im pretty positive in my area im getting every dollar out of that pool. of course thats a snapshot of the moment. my kids are going to love it and im not moving any time soon, so unless you are planning to sell anytime soon, you really can't look at it that way - unless of course youre noticing a SERIOUS decline of value in your area. my wife is a realtor, so im a little into that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you were sold a Nature 2, get rid of it before they install it and go with a SWG. Minerals will put metals into your water, turn blonde hair green and eventually stain the surface of your pool. It also will not kill bacteria fast enough like chlorine will.

not that you're getting the Nature 2, but to add to what Casey said, the Nature2 and similar devices advertise being able to use a LOT lower chlorine level - just to prevent algae from forming, but we have doubt about its ability to properly sanitize the pool at such low levels. plus you have to pay for a new cartridge every so often and that just adds to cost. so anyway, let us know what youre getting and you'll probably get some GREAT advice.

not that you're getting the Nature 2, but to add to what Casey said, the Nature2 and similar devices advertise being able to use a LOT lower chlorine level - just to prevent algae from forming, but we have doubt about its ability to properly sanitize the pool at such low levels. plus you have to pay for a new cartridge every so often and that just adds to cost. so anyway, let us know what youre getting and you'll probably get some GREAT advice.

Here is what I pulled out from the specs... Feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Pool perimeter- 78
FUSION CHLORINATION AND MINERAL SANITIZER
Jandy 2.0 HP Variable Speed Pump + Booster Pump
Jandy VS Controller
CARTRIDGE FILTER 460 SQ. FT.
RAYPAK 399K BTU HEATER
White mini pebble with glass beads
Travertine coping
Hayward LED light in Pool
SPA 12" raised
LED light in SPA (doesn't say MAKE/Brand like it does for pool light)
4 spa jets in spa
2 bubblers on the sun deck
Deck- Brush Concrete
9000 gallons (deep end will be 4.5 ft)
Need to figure out how to include this in the signature...

If you were sold a Nature 2, get rid of it before they install it and go with a SWG. Minerals will put metals into your water, turn blonde hair green and eventually stain the surface of your pool. It also will not kill bacteria fast enough like chlorine will.

If SWG is salt water, our PB said there was some kind of waiver that needed to be signed in regards to warranty

Welcome to TFP!

Now that I am looking at the drawing again...maybe we can add some additional decking on the further end (right side) and possible extend a bit by the spa.... typically Would that have to be confirmed at layout or can we ask for changes later on?? any ideas..

bump***

Whats the waiver for on the SWG (that IS salt water). makes chlorinating your pool pretty much automatic. The fusion is a Nature 2 product. Mine includes my Salt cartridge, while the model you're talking about includes a chlorine tab feeder. I don't know much about that except the guys here associate chlorine tabs with evil. LOL!!! Someone a little more knowledgeable needs to chime in on this.

bump***

Whats the waiver for on the SWG (that IS salt water). makes chlorinating your pool pretty much automatic. The fusion is a Nature 2 product. Mine includes my Salt cartridge, while the model you're talking about includes a chlorine tab feeder. I don't know much about that except the guys here associate chlorine tabs with evil. LOL!!! Someone a little more knowledgeable needs to chime in on this.

Not sure what the waiver was..but i thought it was something that warranty would be void on some major components?! I guess we got pretty much sold on the explanation of the mineral stuff. Will have to ask today.

I got sold on it too, its pretty much useless and even though there is a "no stain guarantee" on the unit, over time its just putting more and more minerals into your pool so eventually it will have to stain and people suggest the copper it adds could turn hair green. The Fusion basically adds the minerals to act as an algae preventive measure and therefor allows you to run with almost no chlorine in your pool. they claim that the minerals also kill the bacteria and sanitize (not sure how effective that is to be honest) they claim you can run as low as .5 chlorine. it was too much of a tightrope for me to walk so i just do it the way these guys tell me.

as far as the tabs go, it fundamentally goes against everything this site teaches. the trichlor tabs that the fusion holds add CYA and over time as the level gets higher and higher, your chlorine will become less and less effective. admittedly, this would probably take a long time since it would run at such a low chlorine level. anyway, thats pretty much how the whole thing works. i see the ease of it as its a chlorine feeder. like i said, i have the salt water version of this thing so my chlorine feeder is the SWG - which doesnt add anything except chlorine, no CYA to mess things up - and i let the mineral part run dry.