First PH reading and store comparisons

Jul 6, 2013
Waxahachie, Tx.
Took a sample to pool store just to compare.
Pool store readings My test results
FC 3 2.5 CC0
Salt 2100 2900 instant reading on SWG
CH 300 200
CYA 35 50-70 depending on when its read
TA 120 110
PH 8.0 7.8-8
Wtr temp 67
Volts when gen. 29.4V
Amps 2.14A
Desired % 50
Now we have had a ton of rain here in N. Texas. I have pumped out 2-3 times at least 2-3" of water each time.
-My TA over the course of a year has stayed pretty steady between 125-110
-The PH test the first time I did it when I got home was 7.2, I poured another sample of water and tested again 7.8-8, tested one more time with 7.8-8. Not sure why the first test was low. This happened the other day also.
-The CH has been on the avg for a year around 260-200
-My salt reading obviously is a lot lower than the beginning of last years season when the pool was installed at 3400 becasue of all the dilution and water loss due to pump downs.

Questions
-Due to the lower salt level even though it satisfies the SWG and the lower water temp right now. Would this explain why the SWG at 50% is just maintaing a 2.5FC. Because 4 days ago at 76 degrees my FC was up around 4. Should I bump my salt level up to the middle of the scale , say 3200? Obviuosly temp affect everything. THe cell amps was at 2.84 at 76 degrees.
-Should I raise the CH up to around 260 since 200 seems to be on the bottom minimum level?
-Opinions on PH test not reading the same on first test?
-CYA reading. The 70 reading was just as the black dot was getting hard to see. 50 was when it had disappeared. So which reading do I take?

Thanks so much for all the input in advance. This site has gotten me thru 1 year w/o any issues at all. I have learned so much in 1 year.

-Low salt can indeed affect the output of the SWG, I would bump up the salt since you know it will get diluted again
-For a FG pool, CH does not really matter
-Did you rinse the test vial? Seems odd.
-The dot needs to be completely gone. Test should be done outside in bright indirect light (sun to your back) with the tube at waist level.

-Low salt can indeed affect the output of the SWG, I would bump up the salt since you know it will get diluted again
-For a FG pool, CH does not really matter
-Did you rinse the test vial? Seems odd.
-The dot needs to be completely gone. Test should be done outside in bright indirect light (sun to your back) with the tube at waist level.
Yes I rinsed before testing...I am very particular that way.
Thanks about the CH, I wasnt 100% sure but had an idea on it.
Will bump up salt.
And I guess I need to add stabilizer .
Thanks again

Plus the CYA will lower the PH a little
Not enough to make much difference.

Your pH results should have been consistent. Before any testing, let the pump run for around 30 minutes and then take your sample as deep as you can reach in the water.

Comparing pool store results is a wasted exercise. Why would you compare your trustworthy results with a place you cannot trust? A tenant of TFPC is "Trust your own Testing"

Not enough to make much difference.

Your pH results should have been consistent. Before any testing, let the pump run for around 30 minutes and then take your sample as deep as you can reach in the water.

Comparing pool store results is a wasted exercise. Why would you compare your trustworthy results with a place you cannot trust? A tenant of TFPC is "Trust your own Testing"
i know comparing is a waste of time. just my satisfaction and re-assurance i guess. I normally dont take any reading until late morning or mid day.
Not sure whats happening with the PH test results. I just took PH again. First test 7.2, second-4th 7.8. Rinsed throughly between each test and used water from the same collection bottle. HUH????
Maybe reagent is starting to settle or seperate in it's bottle , if that is possible. But I am going with 7.8

Just throwing this out there. Did you change pump run time when the FC went from 4 to 2.5 ??? Pump run time also effects the amount of FC generated. How long are you running your pump ??

This time last year according to my log book was running pump 10 hours a day @50% desired output. Maintaining FC between 2.5-5, with 10 degree warmer water. I also am aware that testing at different times of the day will result in different FC readings.
As of now 8 hours a day @50%.

I just looked at a chart that I made last year that is specific for my T3 salt cell to calculate FC production.
It produces 0.6lbs per 24hours.Therefore 0.6lbs =9.6oz/24=0.4oz per hour.
So with a 8 hour run time it produces 3.2 oz. of chlorine gas = increase of 3.4 in FC.
So since I am running pump 2 hours less, an increase in % out in the best approach. Instead of wasting more energy. Does this make sense.?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.