Update - Water In - Final pieces remain South Jersey Build

Mar 9, 2015
Berlin, NJ
We are starting this week on our new build!

We originally interviewed pool companies for both gunite and vinyl. I loved the flexibility of the gunite but overall, the pricing was almost exactly the same, and I don't like the feel of the gunite on my feet, so we went with the vinyl. I know we are the minority, but I love my choice.

We interviewed alot of companies. We chose Niagara Pools. I loved our sales person, he was very patient, went through many amendments, changes, questions etc. until we nailed down the exact style and location I wanted.

We went with a 20x30x40 Lagoon style pool. WE chose the Indigo Marble Blue Granite liner. WE added a sunshelf and a bench in the deep end. WE are going from 3.6 feet to 8 feet but no diving board.Van Buskirk (6)2d_002.jpgVan Buskirk (6)_001.jpgVan Buskirk (6)_003.jpg

We have:
Free Form
20x30x40 Lagoon Style
27,500 Gallons
839 Sq Feet
3'6" to 8' Depth
10' x 8'9" tanning ledge - no bubblers??
9' radial bench in deep end
Think Indigo Marble/Blue Granite 27 Mil Kafo Vinyl Liner
(torn between this and Astoria/Deep Blue Fusion)

2 Pentair LED Intelibright 5G lights
Pentair Superflo 1 1/2 HP pump
Pentair Legend Platinum II pool cleaner
Sand filter Pentair 80
2 skimmers
3 returns including one on the tanning shelf

400 Square Feet of Stamped concrete or EP Henry Imperial Pavers - depends on pricing of coping with bullnose

I am sure I am missing things, but can anyone weigh in if I have made decent selections or if anything should be altered, added or deleted? Thanks!

Last edited:
Re: New build in South Jersey - Pictures included

Wow, that's going to be gorgeous. I kind of wanted the lagoon style, but my wife was against it for our yard. But how can that pool only be 23k gallons? I'm at 25k gallons and I don't have the extra shallow end space.

Congrats!!!

I would highly recommend you upgrade to the 2-speed version of that pump ... you also likely only need the 1HP version since you do not mention any high flow rate requirements.

Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I did my signature prior to upgrading the size of the pool. This pool is 27,500 gallons.

As for the flow rate, I am not adding any water features, I thought about it but wasn't head over heels with it, so figured why not save the money. Also, no spa b/c would eventually like a jacuzzi we can use year round since our pool season is so short here in Jersey. So maybe the 1HP? Would I regret that later for any reason?

I can not think of a reason the 1HP 2-speed would not be enough ... runs my pool fine with a large solar heating array on the house.

The smaller the pump, the less $ to run it ;)
And you really only need to run the pump on low speed for circulation.

To the point of gunite vs vinyl, I almost went gunite. Had my heart set on it. Until I started learning about how a vinyl pool can be easier, a bit more forgiving, cost to replaster vs new liner, etc. But I do LOVE the look of a nicely done gunite pool.

My sister-in-law has roughly the same layout. Very nice, comfortable pool. You may want to consider an extra return on the sun shelf to help move dirt and leaves down to where the cleaner can get it.

I have yet to be convinced that gunite feels better than vinyl ;)

I am sure that you are going to love it. Looking forward to those build pictures

Trying to post pics of the first two days, but no luck. Keep getting errors, I read a few things on here about different ways to post, going to find them.

I was very surprised as well that the gunite pool was close to the same. Part of it is the adding of the ledge and the bench to my vinyl pool, those things don't add cost for the gunite (at least here in my area).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Pictures from the first day. They did a decent job on the excavation but the truck by 3pm was either too full or too fast, and got stuck going up the hill on the side. The backhoe had to pull it out which did some rather substantial damage. They also damaged the landscaping and pavers in the front yard coming in.

Here is day 2 complete :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you so much jblizzle, this website is SO helpful - I was able to upload all pictures to photobucket as I already had an account with them. What I wish I had was a GoPro to do the time lapse, that is amazing watching other people's builds.

Looking good, where is the pump and equipment pad going to be placed? Overall my only suggestion are, like others upgrade to a 2 speed pump, and I would strongly consider adding a 3rd light.

Ike

p.s. I am your temporary neighbor this week, in Mt Laurel on a business trip until Saturday

I work in Mount Laurel!

The pad will be in the corner behind the deep end. Your pool sounds amazing!! Makes mine look tiny. ?

Still up in the air on heater but having it wired for it should I want to add it next year.

So we are finally putting the walls up today. They took the day off yesterday for some reason, which puts us back b/c after the walls go in the township has to inspect. They only inspect on Tuesday or Thursday's of course so had they done it yesterday we would be able to move on, but they are doing it today, so after about 2pm today, we can't do anything until next Wednesday. Really looking forward to the walls going in, so I can see how the plumbing will be laid in and get a better idea of where the decking will be as well. I did ask my sales guy to call me to discuss the equipment regarding the pump.
Here are the pictures after they tried to fix the ruts and mess from Day 1.

The pool looks so large b/c of the spacing behind the walls, its hard to picture at this point it not taking over the entire back of the yard.

Someone mentioned the return in the area of the tanning deck, which I had read about previously so the dirt doesn't sit in that area. Is this something I can add still at this point?

Also, can I get some imput on the decking....Right now I am in for 3 feet perimeter surrounding the pool, with an additional 400 square feet for lounging, table etc. I am adding 5 sleeves for umbrellas, volleyball and/or basketball. I paid to upgrade to stamped concrete. I currently have a brand new EP Henry paver walkway into the backyard, but can't afford the additional expense for the entire pool decking. Would you recommend the stamped concrete, I dont' see many builds on here with it, but most I see are in warmer climates. Obviously, we could go with the brushed concrete, but I just feel like it looks weathered rather quickly.

Any other decking recommendations that won't break the bank?

Looks like a lot of people don't like the pressure side cleaner also, so I am looking into the robot cleaners and the test kit this week.

Thanks everyone, will post pics after the walls are UP :)

We're happy with our rock salt stained concrete deck. It has held up well after three years. And a saltwater pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.