Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Combined Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Combined Chlorine

Tested Pool 90 days ago (drop test)and combined chlorine was.5 which has been normal forever. Tested today 3 times (drop test) and each time the pink color got lighter after the first (or 2d) drop but stayed the "lighter" pink without changing to clear after as many as 20 drops of R-0003. Bad Test or Pool has gone to H_ _ _? Help would be appreciated.
    14,000gal IG Fiberglass pool with 850 gal spill over spa, Whisper Flo 1hp pool pump, Whisper Flo 2hp spa pump, DE filter, Zodiac Clearwater LM3 SWG, "Heat Siphon" Model SX5HP pool/spa heater, a water leveler and a Kreepy Krauly cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Combined Chlorine

You have not tested in 3 months?

Did you do a full set of test results? Post them up as they could help point to a problem.

Each drop should have an impact on the color, so I suspect that "lighter" pink you are continually seeing should not count ... although it is strange.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Is the 20 drops of R-0003 a typo? If that isn't a typo, review the instructions for this test, you might have gotten rusty over the 90 days. Normally you add exactly 5 drops of R-0003, then count the drops of R-0871 to clear.
    20,000gal in-ground 16x36 sentry pools vinyl liner, Pentair sand filter, Pentair minimax NT heater, auto-cover, Polaris 280 cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks to both of you for your response. dfahrion hit the (rusty) Nail on the head. Kept using R-0003 after the 5 initial drops to try and bring it back to clear. Using the right R-0871 after the 5 initial drops of R-0003 resulted the normal .5 CC reading. I not only made this mistake once but all three times in my previous testing! I do test daily for Chlorine and pH but I am able to do a complete Trouble Free test kit T-100 test only every 90 days because I have followed Troublefree Pools recommendations exactly for the last 7 years which has resulted in an amazingly stable Pool. Thought I would cover my stupidity with a righteous plug for this great website.
    14,000gal IG Fiberglass pool with 850 gal spill over spa, Whisper Flo 1hp pool pump, Whisper Flo 2hp spa pump, DE filter, Zodiac Clearwater LM3 SWG, "Heat Siphon" Model SX5HP pool/spa heater, a water leveler and a Kreepy Krauly cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Oops, sometimes it is the obvious that we overlook
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Well this is a much better outcome than having a CC of 17373361475!
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer