Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cleaning waterline on a vinyl liner

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Cleaning waterline on a vinyl liner

What to use?
    Vinyl cleaners from auto supply store or any big box store,
    or
    enzyme cleaners (such as Orb-3 A011-000-1PT Enzyme Cleaner Concentrate Bottle for Pools http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER)
    or anything else?

Any advise is appreciated.
    Lagoon shape, 23,600 Gal, steel walls by International Swimming Pools, "ultra-seam" liner by Latham, Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo 3HP Variable Speed Pump, PentAir CCP420 filter, Heat Siphon Z575HP, PentAir IC40 SWG, 2 LED Lights (Pentair Intellibrite 5G, 110V). 4 x 1.5’’return lines, 2 x 2’’skimmer lines, 1.5’’ waterfall line. All plumbing is "TigerFlex" pipe, all lines plumbed individually. Deck: travertine glued over concrete.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Cleaning waterline on a vinyl liner

Of course, it depends on what caused the staining, if known. I would suggest an inexpensive approach and try regular Laundry detergent (sparingly) and judge the results. If that doesn't work, I have heard "magic eraser" is a good fix. Use it cautiously.....it's a mild abrasive.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Of course, it depends on what caused the staining, if known. I would suggest an inexpensive approach and try regular Laundry detergent (sparingly) and judge the results. If that doesn't work, I have heard "magic eraser" is a good fix. Use it cautiously.....it's a mild abrasive.
    duraleigh, thanks for the reply.
    However, I've asked about regular cleaning, not stain removal.
    Lagoon shape, 23,600 Gal, steel walls by International Swimming Pools, "ultra-seam" liner by Latham, Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo 3HP Variable Speed Pump, PentAir CCP420 filter, Heat Siphon Z575HP, PentAir IC40 SWG, 2 LED Lights (Pentair Intellibrite 5G, 110V). 4 x 1.5’’return lines, 2 x 2’’skimmer lines, 1.5’’ waterfall line. All plumbing is "TigerFlex" pipe, all lines plumbed individually. Deck: travertine glued over concrete.

4. Back To Top    #4

I think I'd raise the water level to submerge the waterline and let it soak a day and then get in and work on it with a dish scrubbing pad. If that didn't lift it, then I'd consider something chemical. What kind of stain is it? It's not just salt and calcium left from evaporation, is it?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I think Richard 320 and I are talking about general cleaning as well. If the liner is at all discolored, we're simply calling that staining.
    Dave S.

6. Back To Top    #6

I think Richard 320 and I are talking about general cleaning as well.
    Looks like we are on the same page than.

Obviously I'm trying to lift any oils and soiling from the waterline. Ultimate goal is to clean and apply liner conditioner (rejuvinate it) while my water level is lowered for winter. Vinal rejuvenation is an advise I've got from one pool builder, and kinda makes sense to me.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Vinal rejuvenation is an advise I've got from one pool builder, and kinda makes sense to me.
    I don't know what that means.....it is very difficult to restore vinyl that has degraded in some fashion. What's wrong with your liner?
    Dave S.

8. Back To Top    #8

I don't know what that means.....it is very difficult to restore vinyl that has degraded in some fashion. What's wrong with your liner?
    Nothing wrong (knocking on wood).
    Pool builder's advise was to apply vinyl conditioners (pretty much anything you can get in big box store) to prolong liner's life. Kinda maintenance item.
    Liner part above the water level gets ruined by the sun the most (heat, UV light) and I think his advise makes sense.