LifeTime Supporter
Sep 15, 2013
Fayetteville, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'd like to use this as a "working thread" for myself and any other pour soul who has the pleasure of facing the feat we will this (long) weekend.

Can a pool 40x20 concrete "vintage" (ha!) pool be repaired in a long weekend? Or I guess more appropriately worded would be how well can such a pool be refinished in a long weekend?

Background - purchased a house in Fayetteville, NC (Ft. Bragg) from a "flipper." Soon thereafter, courtesy of the U.S. Army, we were forced to move to the DC area. House became a rental (that we lose money on every month and can't sell due to housing market).

Had maintenance performed by professional year around until winter of 2014 when our pool man retired (after 30 years) due to health issues, and we let it go. We traveled to NC a few weekends ago and dumped a bunch of chlorine and algaecide into pool. Cleared up reasonably well, but may be green again by now.

Pool Specifics;
From what neighbors have told us, the pool is at least 30 years old. There is no main drain, no hydrostatic hole. No tile around edge. Nothing but concrete.

Had pool pressured tested last year looking for leak that's not horrible, but drives up water bill about $10/m. Suspect leak is behind light (which was removed 2 years ago to fix, but never got done). Pool is plastered and was painted - who knows how long ago - and per the test done this week, it's plaster and an epoxy paint.

Before buying house the pool cracks (minor) on floor were "repaired" by a flighty-handy man. Within a week of closing paint started chipping from plaster/mortar of these repairs. Other than that, pool was pretty and certainly swimmable so we lived with it.

Fast forward 4 years and here we are. Plaster has started pulling away from walls at top edge and paint is chipping throughout, as well as chalking.

Pictures to come.

We realize the pool needs to be completely resurfaced, but quotes have come in for $10k and that's just not in the budget. We could likely venture a DIY replaster, but due to time constraints (living in DC) this isn't a viable option either.

So we will venture down this weekend (Friday morning) to do whatever we are able to make the pool reasonable for our tenants within a few days, a budget of around $1,000, and the weather - starts raining this afternoon and stops early Friday afternoon, but doesn't appear to be a lot of rain. We are not looking for a 20 or 30 year fix. We hope to get perhaps 3 years from this weekend's fix to keep our tenant happy and our chemical expenses down.

Before I start into questions about products to use, step 1 is to drain the (40k(?) gallon) monstrosity. I have someone local that can pick up a (rented?) sup pump for us and start the draining process. My immediate question is what specifications does the sump pump need to be? Besides being submersible, anything in particular we need to make sure the pump has/can do?

We can buy this one from Harbor Freight for $40 (with coupon). Any reason this one won't suffice? http://m.harborfreight.com/16-hp-submersible-utility-pump-1350-gph-68422.html

Or we could rent this one from HD for $42/day (or likely somewhere else for less). http://www6.homedepot.com/tool-truck-rental/mobile/Submersible_Pump_2/0009112/index.html

We would be so incredibly grateful if some of you will help us along in our journey this weekend for the "temporary fix" for our pool which we have affectionaly named "Pita" (for PAIN In The *****). As I intend to provide pictures along the way, there's likely someone else in the future who will also benefit greatly.

Cheers!

Reactions: mhk.kohler
The HF pump will be a LOT slower than the one rented from HD. So depends on how quickly you want to get it drained. FYI, if you get a 4 hour rental less than 4 hours from closing time you get to keep it over night and return it the next morning. You could likely get it pumped out over night. I think it took me about 4 hours to drain mine, so you might expect 8 hours for yours with the HD pump. The HF pump might take a few days.

FYI, if you get a 4 hour rental less than 4 hours from closing time you get to keep it over night and return it the next morning. You could likely get it pumped out over night. [/QUOTE]

Great info, thanks! But we likely will need it all weekend to pump out pressure wash and acid wash water.
How about this? https://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equipment/detail/1311/0430110/submersible-pump-floor-level-intake/

One thing I didn't mention, the distance from the pool to sewer is probably near 100 yards.

Thanks for the heads up John.
I keep seeing info on pools jumping, and it's a scary thought!
Some say it's a concern, others say as long as there isn't a substantial rain, there's nothing to fret.
I called the City and County today and spoke with 3 different departments. The first "engineer" I'd swear graduated last year from HS. The next dept I tried seemed to result in a seasoned gentleman, but he was clueless as to what my concerns were.
A Google search resulted in access to maps that made very little sense to me. Is there somewhere I can go to perhaps search for an address and be given the history of the water table level in my area? (It's Cumberland Co, NC.)

Now on to the critical items!

As I said, we aren't expecting a 30 year fix with our repairs. We don't mind if there are rough patches. We merely need a short-term solution to uphold what's left of the structural integrity of the pool.

If I knew of a paint type substance that would essentially seal any exposed concrete and cracks, we would likely just chip out what's lifting, acid wash, power wash, and then paint. (If you know of such a substance, please pass that long to me.)

With our timeline I think our concentration should be on repairs and patches and on acid washing. So, we need a plaster patch material that has a short cure time. I'm thinking a type of plasters that can be used under water would be best. Anyone have experience with a good product that won't break the bank?
Am I right that it would be best to use a high quality patch product and skimp on the quality of paint/coating?

My only two cents, as a contractor, not pools electrician, everytime I bought anything from harbor freight that has a motor, burns up real quick. I doubt u will be drain pool often, I would rent a good pump n skid anything from harbor freight unless is a basic hand tool.

My only two cents, as a contractor, not pools electrician, everytime I bought anything from harbor freight that has a motor, burns up real quick. I doubt u will be drain pool often, I would rent a good pump n skid anything from harbor freight unless is a basic hand tool.

Turns out our neighbor there has one. He's hooking it up this morning for us, which also affords us one less day of a hotel room. So at this point, we're up by about $150.
He's also agreed to help us this wknd. (We'd rather pay him than some unknown day labor person.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When I drained my pool I also found it impossible for anyone to tell me the water table in the area. I purchased a post digger from HD and dug a hole the depth of my pool (about 5 1/2 feet). I let it sit for a day and checked to see if there was any water in it.

When I drained my pool I also found it impossible for anyone to tell me the water table in the area. I purchased a post digger from HD and dug a hole the depth of my pool (about 5 1/2 feet). I let it sit for a day and checked to see if there was any water in it.

Unfortunately, our pool is 10' deep. But I like your means for future info! Tks!

If you are looking for cheap waterproof paint patching, look at Drylok. Latex based and lasts pretty good. Might get a year our of it.

Looking at it now online. And might very well be our answer! What will happen when this stuff starts breaking down? Paint chips, cloudy water ?????

Is there somewhere I can go to perhaps search for an address and be given the history of the water table level in my area? (It's Cumberland Co, NC.)

SCS Soils Survey.

http://websoilsurvey.nrcs.usda.gov/app/

Click on the green button that says "Start WSS". then search by address. then use the button called "AOI" near the top of the screen and create an area of interest over your property (nothing exact, just close). then click on the tab at the top called Soil Map. you should see a clickable blue text for your soil type. pulling that up, go down to the category called "properties and qualities" and you will see it listed as "depth to water table".

hope this helps people. its not going to be exact but gives you an idea if you are 12" from the surface (like me) or 12 feet. ballpark

SCS Soils Survey.

http://websoilsurvey.nrcs.usda.gov/app/

Click on the green button that says "Start WSS". then search by address. then use the button called "AOI" near the top of the screen and create an area of interest over your property (nothing exact, just close). then click on the tab at the top called Soil Map. you should see a clickable blue text for your soil type. pulling that up, go down to the category called "properties and qualities" and you will see it listed as "depth to water table".

hope this helps people. its not going to be exact but gives you an idea if you are 12" from the surface (like me) or 12 feet. ballpark

This sounds like EXACTLY what I need!
Thanks!

Yall ready for the pictures?
I must admit, it's worse than I remember.

98cb79466d38b81e603ff20eceacefd6.jpg

We leave tomorrow (Friday) at lunch (EST) for the 6 hour drive to our pool. Anyone have any suggestions for a packing list or tools list of items that will be needed?

Here's what we have thus far on our packing list:
Wet vac
Electric Hand sander
Hammers
Chisels
Electric drill
Flat head shovel
Long level
5 gallon buckets
Trash bags
Step ladder
10' ladder
Painters tape
Screw driver set
Gloves
Tarp
Trowels
Putty knives
Tape measure
Roller frames
Rags
Paper towels
Old clothes
Old shoes
Heat gun
Bug spray
Sun screen

Items we will be renting or purchasing in area:
3500 psi pressure washer
Floor sander
Orbital hand sander(s)
Sandpaper
Sump pump (already rented and pool is currently draining)
Kitchen broom
Long broom
Paint rollers
Paint brushes
Stir paddle for drill
Wheelbarrow
Ramp

(Considering dynamite JIC we get discouraged.)

Any additional thoughts or suggestions?

Reactions: mhk.kohler

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.