Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dolphin Oasis Z5 - 4 ppm Max Chlorine - Is this Unreasonable?

1. Back To Top    #1

Dolphin Oasis Z5 - 4 ppm Max Chlorine - Is this Unreasonable?

We recently purchased a Dolphin Oasis Z5, and the warnings instruct us not to use it when FC exceeds 4 ppm. This seems unreasonable to me, especially when our pool has CYA of 97, necessitating a higher minimum of FC to prevent algae.

(We just moved into our house and are first time pool owners. At the start, our CYA was 140, so we are making improvements...)

Does anyone have any insight as to whether it would be okay to use our Z5 at higher levels of FC? Obviously, we won't put the Z5 in the pool while SLAMing, but 4 ppm just seems like a very low tolerance level for a pool cleaner.
    17,500 IG plaster, attached spa with spillover, Hayward Heat Pump 350k BTU, Whisper Flo 1.5h, Sand Filter, FAS-DPD 81329

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dolphin Oasis Z5 - 4 ppm Max Chlorine - Is this Unreasonable?

It goes along with the traditional recommendation to keep FC between 1 - 3 with no regard to CYA level.

I ran my M5 all lat year with 200+ CYA and FC in the 20 range. He is out in the pool right now cleaning......

My normal FC is 6 now, so i guess I'm still above their recommendation.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Right down the road from you here..

Tim has you right. Pool equipment people simply can't go outside EPA guidelines, which unfortunately don't recognize Cya residuals. No worries though, my M5 never sees 4 except when I slip on my duties. He's seen anywhere from 6 up for a year now, and no problems. I truly don't believe slam levels would hurt him, but extended periods of that probably aren't adviseable.

Good to have you aboard, and I'm glad you joined us.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the responses!
    17,500 IG plaster, attached spa with spillover, Hayward Heat Pump 350k BTU, Whisper Flo 1.5h, Sand Filter, FAS-DPD 81329

5. Back To Top    #5

Anytime!

now we need a photo of your pool
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon