Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Has anyone tried Fix A Leak on a suction line

1. Back To Top    #1

Has anyone tried Fix A Leak on a suction line

Has anyone tried this for a suction leak?
    http://www.fixaleak.com/pools.html
    18k IG vinyl pool, Jandy CV460 Cartridge filter, Hayward MaxFlo Variable Speed 1.5hp pump (SP2300VSP), Hayward Aqua Rite Salt Generator with 25K Gal Cell, Teledyne Laars Series One heater, Blood, sweat and tears manual cleaner (trying to decide what to get to replace me), no automation.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Has anyone tried Fix A Leak on a suction line

Where exactly is the leak an dhow large? A photo would help.

I have never used that specific product, but have used many sealant type products external to the water flow. That reminds me of radiator stop leak and I probably would never put it in my pool water.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

I believe the leak to be at the main drain at the bottom of the pool. The size is unknown, but not large enough to cause the pump to lose prime.
    18k IG vinyl pool, Jandy CV460 Cartridge filter, Hayward MaxFlo Variable Speed 1.5hp pump (SP2300VSP), Hayward Aqua Rite Salt Generator with 25K Gal Cell, Teledyne Laars Series One heater, Blood, sweat and tears manual cleaner (trying to decide what to get to replace me), no automation.

4. Back To Top    #4

We don't recommend using Fix A Leak unless you have given up on every possible alternative. It can cause serious problems if not used exactly according to directions.

Fix A Leak will never work on a suction side leak unless you reverse the plumbing so the suction side becomes the pressure side (typically a fairly complex project).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I used it to "fix" and underground leak (elbow under my skimmer) a couple of year ago, this involved disconnecting my pump and temporarily capping off the suction line where it went below ground (rigged a temporary above ground line to the pump), lowered water level just below skimmer level, and rigged up a cheap sump style pump and bits of an old suction side cleaner hose to pressurize the line and force the marlig gunk out through the leak in the suction line. Let it sit for a day or two, repeat, and flush out the suction line before reconnecting the pool pump. All this effort bought me 2 years before the fitting failed completely and I had to cut out a 3x3 section of concrete decking and dig out under the skimmer to replace the elbow fitting. (pool builder used drain pipe street elbow, and had it in a bind, so over time the glue failed and eventually the fitting popped off the bottom of the skimmer, but that did take 35 years).
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

You need to find the leak or broken pipe.. or hire someone to find it for you. If your main drain is leaking your pool will drain to the level of the leak....

What makes you think it is the main drain? and it is possible the leak could be anywhere along the line... if your getting bubbles or air in your skimmer and all else is tight.

Can you shut off or cap your skimmer lines?
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for relating your experience Isaac. Sounds like a lot of work.
    blakeusa, yup, I've done a lot of work to isolate the leak. Dug up the lines (skimmer and main drain) from the pool to the pump, replaced all fittings at pump, replace 3 way valve at pump. The only place I am not able to inspect is from just below the surface of the ground (about 2 feet) down the actual drain at the bottom of the pool. Given this, I'm pretty confident the leak is at the main drain. Once the water gets warmer I will try a dye test to re-confirm.